Information for Domain Name Registrants
A domain name registrant is an individual or entity who registers a domain name. Upon registration of a domain name, a registrant enters into a contract with a registrar. The contract describes the terms under which the registrar agrees to register and maintain the requested name. After registration, registrants manage their domain name settings through their registrar. To modify a setting, a registrant submits the changes to the registrar, and the registrar sends the change to the registry. As a domain name registrant, you have certain rights and responsibilities. Your rights include access to information from your registrar regarding processes for registering, managing, transferring, renewing, and restoring your domain name registration.
(Click Here) Complete Blog Series: Do you have a domain name? Here's what you need to know.
(Click Here) Issues and Challenges Impacting Domain Name Registrants Report Series
- If you have suggestions, or would like to submit an inquiry please contact ICANN's Global Support Center.
- Contractual compliance complaints can be submitted here.
News and Updates
- Registrant Program Update: New Report on Registrant Issues and Challenges & ICANN Learn Course for Registrants (19 May 2020)
- Blog: Do you have a domain name? Here's what you need to know. Part VI – Identifying Phishing Scams, DNSSEC-Signing, and Other Tips to Protect Your Domain Name (30 April 2020)
- A new ICANN Learn course is available to educate registrants on their role in the domain name ecosystem and ICANN policies that affect them. Sign up for the Registrant Basics course here (9 April 2020)
- 5 Things every Domain Name Registrant should know about ICANN's Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) and Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS) system (25 Sept. 2019)
- FAQs: Domain Name Renewals and Expiration
- FAQs: Registrant Contact Information and the WDRP
- FAQs: Transferring your domain name
- FAQs for Registrants: About ICANN
- Various FAQs
- FAQs: General Questions and Registering a Domain Name
Registrant Program Sessions and Presentations
- ICANN66: Registrant Program Update
- ICANN65 Prep Week Webinar Presentation Deck – Community Briefing on Raising Awareness About Registrant Issues and Challenges (Download) [PDF, 1.81 MB]
- ICANN64: Raising Awareness About Registrant Issues and Challenges
- ICANN63: What Issues and Challenges are Registrants Having Managing Domain Names?
- ICANN61: Registrants – Understanding the issues facing them and helping them navigate ICANN's policies