The ICANN organization is looking for the next generation of individuals who are interested in becoming actively engaged in their regional communities and in shaping the future of global Internet policy. Important work is happening every day at ICANN. If you are ready to start your journey, attending an ICANN Public Meeting as a NextGen@ICANN participant could be the place to start!
Through the NextGen program, ICANN provides coaching and travel assistance to students from the regions where the ICANN meeting is taking place.
Prospective members of the NextGen@ICANN program must be:
- Enrolled as an undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral student.
- Between the ages of 18 and 30. If you do not meet the NextGen eligibility criteria, please explore the ICANN Fellowship program.
- Currently living and studying in the region of the respective ICANN meeting. ICANN's meetings rotate through five geographic regions: Africa, Europe, North America, Latin America and Asia Pacific. Find out your ICANN region here. See the calendar and regional rotation for future meetings.
In the event that applications are being accepted from regions other than the one in which the ICANN meeting is taking place, ICANN will make this information publicly available online in advance of the application process for that specific meeting.
- Interested in Internet Governance, the future of the Internet, and other topics covered at ICANN meetings.
- If selected, participant must be able to attend the ICANN meeting and required events. NexGen participants are expected to actively participate at the meeting.
- If selected, participant must be willing to present a 5 -10 minute project at the meeting. The presentation can cover topics including: research you are working on or completed, an activity related to ICANN's work, an ICANN related website you are affiliated with, a thesis project, etc.
By applying, applicants are agreeing to attend the ICANN meeting with the NextGen@ICANN group as well as all required events. Each individual is provided a grant of support that covers the cost of economy class airfare, hotel and a stipend. NextGen participants are required to secure their own visas for travel at their own expense. If an applicant wants to obtain travel or health insurance this will be at their own expense. NextGen applicants must provide personal information; however, it is voluntary to apply. For more information, see Program Terms and Conditions.
NOTE: Due to the fact that no Public ICANN meetings are scheduled in the AP region in 2021, the decision to defer the NextGen has been rescinded. ICANN68 selectees will participate remotely at the forthcoming ICANN69 meeting in October.
Application Dates & Deadlines
|Meeting Dates||Opening of application round||Closing of application round||Announcement of selected NextGen|
|ICANN69 Annual General Meeting in Hamburg, Germany||Europe||
17-22 October 2020
|24 April 2020 at 23:59 UTC||15 May 2020 at 23:59 UTC||26 June 2020|
|ICANN70 Community Forum Meeting in Cancún Mexico||Latin American||20-25 March 2021||No call for applications||No call for applications||16 November 2020 (list of selected candidates from ICANN67)|
|ICANN72 Annual General Meeting in Seattle, USA||North American||23-28 October 2021||2 April 2021 at 23:59 UTC||7 May 2021 at 23:59 UTC||2 July 2021|
NextGen@ICANN Selection Criteria
Applicants are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Applicant exhibits interest in ICANN and the Internet ecosystem through examples of current work, activities, public dialogue through their studies, and/or research on the web.
- Applicant expresses how participation in the NextGen@ICANN program would be valuable to them as an individual, and as part of a greater community (e.g., university, country, region).
- Applicant's quality in expressing their view on an Internet topic within their application.
- Applicant demonstrates a desire to become a part of the ICANN community.
- Applicant demonstrates long-standing interest in topics related to ICANN's work.
- Applicant expresses a desire to engage and improve their understanding of ICANN's work in their region.
|Apply to NextGen@ICANN
Submit an application during open rounds
|NextGen Ambassador Program
NextGen graduates encouraged to apply
|Upcoming Application Dates
Planned launch dates for future application round
Learn more about criteria for the Fellowship Program
|Program Terms and Conditions
More information on the NextGen@ICANN Program
Check out statistics on NextGen participants and Ambassadors
|Previous NextGen Participants
See the participants from past NextGen Programs
|NextGen@ICANN Five-Year Survey Report
Check out the results of the Five-Year NextGen@ICANN Survey with program alumni (13 June 2019)
Contact Us Need help or have more questions? Email us at NextGen@icann.org.
NextGen Community Consultation
|Draft Proposal for NextGen@ICANN Program Public Comment page for program improvements|
For more information, please contact NextGen@icann.org