ICANN Strategic Plan for fiscal years 2016 - 2020
Developed through an extensive, collaborative, bottom-up, multistakeholder and multilingual process, the new Strategic Plan provides an opportunity for the global community to coalesce around a new overarching vision and long-term objectives. The Strategic Plan: articulates ICANN's new Vision; restates ICANN's founding Mission; and sets forth five Strategic Objectives and sixteen Strategic Goals, each with Key Success Factors (Outcomes), and Strategic Risks.
VISION: ICANN's vision is that of an independent, global organization trusted worldwide to coordinate the global Internet's systems of unique identifiers to support a single, open globally interoperable Internet. ICANN builds trust through serving the public interest, and incorporating the transparent and effective cooperation among stakeholders worldwide to facilitate its coordination role.
- Evolve and further globalize ICANN
- Support a healthy, stable, and resilient unique identifier ecosystem
- Advance organizational, technological and operational excellence
- Promote ICANN's role and multistakeholder approach
- Develop and implement a global public interest framework bounded by ICANN's mission.
Read the entire Strategic Plan online:
- English [PDF, 1.65 MB] | Mobile Accessible [PDF, 408 KB]
- Español [PDF, 436 KB]
- Français [PDF, 495 KB]
- Русский [PDF, 320 KB]
- 简体中文 [PDF, 442 KB]
- العربية [PDF, 389 KB]
- Português [PDF, 441 KB]
How we got here
The Strategic Plan for FY16-FY20 is the result of a bottom-up, community process that began in April 2013 online and at the ICANN meeting in Beijing. ICANN sought extensive public input on its key challenges and opportunities [PDF, 209 KB] and on the eight strategic areas highlighted by ICANN's Board. Work and input on related initiatives, such as the Security, Stability & Resiliency Framework, and the Regional Engagement Strategies, also informed the Strategic Plan, along with the Strategy Panels' advice and, of course, public comments [PDF, 415 KB] received on the draft strategic plan text.
ICANN's Planning Framework encompasses a Strategic Plan, a Five-Year Operating Plan, and an Annual Operating Plan & Budget. The cycle culminates with Achievement & Progress Reporting.
The Five-Year Operating Plan is a new addition to ICANN's planning process, implemented in response to consultations and suggestions from ICANN stakeholders. The Five-Year Operating Plan links strategic objectives and goals with the Annual Operating Plan & Budget, providing a road map for implementing strategies developed in the Strategic Plan. It details—for each Strategic Goal—portfolios of activities, key operating success factors, (outcomes), risks, dependencies, and phasing over the five-year planning cycle, through FY20.
April – June 2014 Public Comment Period on ICANN Draft 5-Year Strategic Plan (FY 16 – FY 20) – Public Comments on ICANN's Draft 5-Year Strategic Plan (FY16-20). Review the results of this comment period (now closed).
October 2013 – January 2014 – Public comments (now closed) on the Draft Vision, Mission and Focus Areas for ICANN's Five-Year Strategic Plan.
November 2013 – Community discussion and feedback at ICANN 48 in Buenos Aires, Argentina on the posted Draft Vision, Mission and Focus Areas for ICANN's Five-Year Strategic Plan. Listen to the audio files from Introduction to Strategy Panels Session or the Strategic Planning Session.
July – September 2013 – Public comments on ICANN's key challenges and opportunities, as well as its eight strategic areas (below) as highlighted by the ICANN Board of Directors. Review the results of this comment period (now closed). Summary of these Comments listed below by strategic area:
- Summary of Comments on Role Clarity [PDF, 84 KB]
- Summary of Comments on ICANN Community [PDF, 92 KB]
- Summary of Comments on Users [PDF, 56 KB]
- Summary of Comments on Internationalization & Regional Development [PDF, 86 KB]
- Summary of Comments on Internet Governance [PDF, 90 KB]
- Summary of Comments on Security & Stability [PDF, 62 KB]
- Summary of Comments on Operational Excellence [PDF, 68 KB]
- Summary of Comments on Domain Name Industry Engagement [PDF, 70 KB]
July 2013 – Community discussion and input at ICANN 47 in Durban, South Africa on the challenges and opportunities put forth by the Board of Directors. Summary of comments are below from the ICANN Durban Meeting Strategic Planning Session Agenda [PDF, 1.23 MB]
April – June 2013 – Strategy initiative announced at ICANN 46 in Beijing, China with the community invited to participate in the process. Staff, Board & Community brainstorming collected to kick off the process. A synthesis of the brainstorming discussions & online input [PDF, 209 KB].
Important Links and Information
- ICANN Strategic Plan (FY 16 – FY 20) [PDF, 1.64 MB]
- ICANN Draft 5-Year Strategic Plan (FY 16 – FY 20)
- ICANN Draft 5-Year Strategic Plan (FY 16 – FY 20) Initial Report of Public Comments
- ICANN's previous Strategic Plan (2012-2015) [PDF, 864 KB]
- ICANN Bylaws – Mission and Core Values
- ICANN's FY14 Security, Stability & Resiliency Framework [PDF, 5.93 MB]
- ICANN Strategy Panels
Questions? Email us.