Root Zone Label Generation Rules
Root Zone Label Generation Rules (RZ-LGR) provide a conservative mechanism to determine valid IDN TLDs and their variant labels, for stable and secure operation of the DNS Root Zone.
Using the RZ-LGR
Root Zone Label Generation Rules 2.0 (RZ-LGR-2) is now available, covering Arabic, Ethiopic, Georgian, Khmer, Lao and Thai scripts. The RZ-LGR-2 package includes the following documents:
- RZ-LGR-2 Overview and Summary
- RZ-LGR-2 Repertoire Tables, non-CJK
- RZ-LGR-2-Merged-LGR-Common (XML, HTML)
- RZ-LGR-2-Element-LGR-ArabicScript (XML, HTML)
- RZ-LGR-2-Element-LGR-EthiopicScript (XML, HTML)
- RZ-LGR-2-Element-LGR-GeorgianScript (XML, HTML)
- RZ-LGR-2-Element-LGR-KhmerScript (XML, HTML)
- RZ-LGR-2-Element-LGR-LaoScript (XML, HTML)
- RZ-LGR-2-Element-LGR-ThaiScript (XML, HTML)
These files can be collectively downloaded with this package.
Successful development of Label Generation Rules depends on having community based Generation Panels for each script or writing system that will be used in the Root Zone. The Generation Panels start with a broad set of code points for the relevant script(s), known as the Maximal Starting Repertoire, and propose relevant Label Generation Rules. These proposals are reviewed by the community through public comment and then by the Integration Panel for approval and integration into the LGR for the Root Zone. The details are defined in Procedure to Develop and Maintain the Label Generation Rules for the Root Zone in Respect of IDNA Labels [PDF, 1.39 MB].
For related information, visit the following links:
- Proposals for Root Zone LGR
- Status of Generation Panels
- Maximal Starting Repertoire
- Guidelines for Developing Script-Specific LGRs
Speak up for your language. Please email at IDNProgram@icann.org to contribute to the relevant Generation Panel.
Earlier Versions of Root Zone Label Generation Rules
Root Zone Label Generation Rules 1.0 (RZ-LGR-1) covered the Arabic script. The LGR-1 package included the following documents: