ICANN Fellowship Selection Committee
Fellowship Selection Committee Membership Makeup
- Each Supporting Organization/Advisory Committee (SO/AC) shall nominate one representative to serve on the ICANN Fellowship Selection Committee, for a total of up to seven individuals.
- SOs/ACs are strongly encouraged to consider diversity criteria when selecting a Selection Committee member including, but not limited to, geographic and gender diversity.
- Each Selection Committee member will serve a two-year term, as detailed in Terms of Service (below).
- Selection Committee member expectations:
- Represent the global Internet community, with a strong history of experience with specific sector(s) of the Internet ecosystem including, but not limited to, technical Internet issues; government, academia, commercial or non-commercial issues; I* entities; underserved and/or under-represented communities and/or Internet related development, or other fellowship programs
- Be an active member of the appointing SO/AC for at least two years (Definitions of active membership may vary, but generally include penholders for ICANN policy/procedural comments contributing significant time to the SO/AC)
- Have a good understanding of ICANN and work conducted by other SOs/ACs
- Have attended ICANN meetings as an active contributor/panelist/chair to a policy session
- Additional notes:
- It is desirable for Selection Committee representatives to have contributed meaningfully to cross-community working groups and/or be an active member of I* organisations
- Nominated Selection Committee members may be Fellowship Program alumni
Fellowship Selection Committee Responsibilities
The ICANN Fellowship Selection Committee is responsible for assessing all applications for the ICANN Fellowship received through the online application system. Selection Committee members will then determine which applicants have best met the posted Applicant Selection Criteria. A time commitment of approximately 70 hours over four to five weeks is required (for each application round).
- Support outreach efforts of the Fellowship Program
- Work closely with Fellowship Program staff to follow the implementation and evaluation process
- Update criteria for Fellowship selection regularly (every two years)
*Relevant ICANN staff, such as Global Stakeholder Engagement (GSE), review applications from their respective regions and sectors and provide comments on candidates’ engagement, future potential, and regional strategic priority.
Terms of Service
- Members of the Selection Committee shall serve for a total of two years (6 application rounds)
- Selection Committee members are expected to devote a significant amount of time to the Fellowship Program; if a member chooses to resign, the relevant SO/AC will nominate a replacement for the remainder of the tenure
- When the Selection Committee changes (every two years), former Selection Committee members are encouraged to share their experiences and insights with the new Section Committee members
- Selection Committee members will be supported by ICANN staff as needed, via conference calls and email
- Selection Committee members may not serve as Fellowship Program mentors
Application Assessment and Decision-Making Process
- 45 Fellowships will be available per round, including Fellowship mentors
- Each Selection Committee member assesses the application based on the following applicant criteria: (1) diversity, (2) experience, (3) ICANN knowledge and engagement, and (4) potential for future engagement. Selection Committee members will review and revise the criteria every two years, as appropriate. The scoring criteria will be made public once the new Selection Committee has had the opportunity to review and revise them.
- Fellowship Program slots will be filled based on the scores and qualitative assessments drawn from the Selection Committee’s reviews, while considering the need for regionally diverse candidates from a range of sectors, including those from underserved and/or under-represented communities, along with sectors that lack diverse representation within ICANN.
Fellowship Selection Committee Members
As part of The New Fellowship Program Approach, the Selection Committee will be composed of members nominated by their respective Supporting Organization/Advisory Committee. The following members will start their work on 26 October 2018:
|Community Group||Selection Committee Nominee|
|GNSO||Heather Forrest (interim)|
This page will be updated as the remaining nominations are finalized.
- Aftab Siddiqui – Asia-Pacific: Serving until October 2018 (Chief Technologist at Eintellego Networks Pty Ltd, an active member of APNIC, appointed by APNIC to the ASO Advisory Committee, Co-Chair SANOG PC).
- Sorina Telenau – Europe: Serving until October 2018 (Digital Policy Senior Researcher at DIPLO; previously worked as an advisor in the Romanian Parliament, dealing with ICT-related legislation and policies. She also served as the alternate representative of the Romanian Government to ICANN's Governmental Advisory Committee and is a Fellowship alumni).
- Carolina Aguerre – Latin America and the Caribbean: Serving until October 2018 (General Manager of LACTLD since 2012, engaging in capacity-building for Latin American ccTLDs and representing those ccTLDs in international fora. Carolina has been a member of the ccNSO since 2007, and is also a member of the IGF's MAG).
- Nadira Al-Araj – Asia-Pacific: Serving until October 2018 (Online freelancer in Capacity Building on IG; member of MEAC-SWG; previous vice chair of ISOC Palestine and Chapter representative to ALS APRALO and Chapters Advisory Council of ISOC. Founding member of ISOC Blockchain SIG. Was the Arab MAG 2015 coordinator to the workshops track).
- Dustin Phillips - North America: Serving until October 2018 (Co-Executive Director of ICANNWiki, working on building capacity by providing an accessible, encyclopedic resource on ICANN and Internet governance available in 7+ languages; Dustin is also the Assistant Director of ISOC-DC and an active member of the IGF-USA Steering Committee).
- Nashwa Abel Baki – Asia-Pacific: 3 years / 9 rounds
- Christine Arida – Asia-Pacific: 3 years / 7 rounds
- Fahd Batayneh – Asia-Pacific: 3 rounds * now ICANN staff
- Tatiana Chirev – Europe: 3 years / 10 rounds
- Mouhamet Diop – Africa: 3 years / 10 rounds
- Ayman El-Sherbiny – Asia-Pacific: 1 year / 3 rounds
- Demi Getschko – Latin American and the Caribbean: 3 years / 10 rounds
- Steven Huter – North America: 3 years / 9 rounds
- Erick Iriarte Ahon – Latin America and the Caribbean: 2.5 years / 8 rounds
- Gaongalelwe ("Gao") Mosweu – Africa: 3 years / 7 rounds
- Pierre Ouédraogo – Africa: 1.5 years / 5 rounds
- Alejandro Pisanty – Latin America and the Caribbean: 3 years /10 rounds
- Vanda Scartezini – Latin America and the Caribbean: 3 years / 9 rounds
- Nelly Stoyanova – Europe: 3 years / 10 rounds
- Gaurab Raj Upadhaya – Asia Pacific: 3 years / 10 rounds
- Hong Xie – Asia Pacific: 3 years / 9 rounds