ICANN Complaints Office
The Complaints Office is a function within the ICANN Organization that:
- Provides a centralized location to submit complaints related to the ICANN Organization.
- Receives complaints, researches them, collects facts, reviews, analyzes, and resolves issues as openly as possible.
- Helps the ICANN Organization build on its effectiveness, and contributes to increased transparency from the Organization.
- Aggregates the data from complaints to identify and solve for operational trends that should be improved.
The Complaints Office handles complaints regarding the ICANN Organization that don't fall into an existing complaints mechanism. This may include complaints about how a request has been handled, a process that appears to be broken, insufficient handling of an issue, or something that may be an indication of a systemic issue, among other things.
The Complaints Office reviews verifiable information to ensure recommendations and resolutions are based in fact. It strives to be open and transparent, responsive and accountable to all parties, and to make recommendations that are constructive and actionable. Above all else, the Complaints Office acts with the utmost integrity in service of ICANN's mission.
Submitting a Complaint
The Complaints Office is a new function within the ICANN Organization and is still being finalized. It is expected that the Complaints Office and its processes will continuously develop and evolve over time.
In the interim, anyone wishing to submit a complaint related to the ICANN Organization may do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. For guidance on what to provide when you submit your complaint, please see this form: https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/complaint-submission-template-26apr17-en.pdf [PDF, 1.02 MB]
The full complaints process is targeted for launch in mid-July 2017.
As a reminder: The Complaints Office is being built in real-time and it may take some time to work through initial submissions. Please do not let this deter you from submitting any complaints that you may have.
Resources about the Complaints Office
- Complaints Report
- Frequently Asked Questions [PDF, 296 KB]
- [Blog] Clarifying the Roles of the ICANN Complaints Office and Ombudsman (18 May 2017)
- [Blog] Complaints Office Update: Objectives & Next Steps (27 April 2017)
- [Announcement] Krista Papac Named as ICANN Complaints Officer (10 Mar 2017)
Terms and Conditions for Submission to the Complaints Office