Domain Name Industry
The domain name ecosystem includes organizations, businesses, and individuals involved in the provision, support, and sale of domain names and related services.
Registries are organizations that are responsible for maintaining the registry for each Top-Level Domain (TLD). The responsibilities of the registries include accepting domain name registration requests from registrars, maintaining a database of the necessary domain name registration data, and providing name servers to publish the zone file data (i.e., information about the location of a domain name) throughout the Internet.
Registrars are organizations accredited by ICANN organization and certified by the registries to sell domain names. They are bound by the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) with ICANN organization, and by their agreements with the registries.
Resellers are organizations affiliated with or are under contract with registrars to sell domain names and other services provided by the registrars such as web hosting. Resellers are bound by their agreements with the registrar(s) whose services they sell and are not accredited by ICANN organization. The registrars remain the responsible and accountable party for all domain name registrations sold by their resellers.
Domain name registrants are individuals or organizations that acquired the right to use a domain name for a period of time via an agreement with a registrar or reseller. The domain name registrant is bound by the terms and conditions of the registrar with which it registers its domain name.
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN organization) is the non-profit organization that enters into and oversees the agreements with registries and registrars. ICANN organization has the responsibility of overseeing the huge and complex interconnected network of unique identifiers that allow computers on the Internet to find one another. Read more about what ICANN organization does and does not do here.
This web page aggregates additional existing content across the icann.org website about the domain name system. If you have suggestions or would like to submit an inquiry, please contact ICANN organization's Global Support Center's Global Support Center.
Contractual compliance complaints can be submitted here.
What is a registrar?
- About registrars
- About resellers
- Registrants' benefits and responsibilities
- Concerned that your registrar is not on the accredited list? – If the company that registered your domain name is not in the accredited registrar directory, click here
- Listing of ICANN accredited registrars
- Contact info for ICANN-accredited registrars
- About no contact information on registrar's website
- About not being able to contact your registrar
- Notice of bankruptcy, convictions and security breaches
- Registrar information specification
- Failure to support DNSSEC, IDN, IPv6
- Registrar abuse reports
- Lifecycle of a typical gTLD domain name
- Domain name industry responsibilities
- Domain name industry ecosystem