Registering Domain Names
Domain names under generic Top-Level Domain Names (gTLDs) may be registered with one of more than two thousand ICANN-accredited registrars, or their resellers. Registrars are accredited by ICANN organization and certified by the registries to sell domain names. They are bound by the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) with ICANN organization, and by their agreements with the registries. Resellers are organizations affliated with or under are under contract with registrars to sell domain names and other services offered by the registrar such as web hosting or email mailboxes. Resellers are bound by their agreements with the registrars whose services they sell and are not accredited by ICANN organization. The registrars remain responsible and accountable for all domain names sold by their resellers. ICANN organization maintains a list of current ICANN-accredited registrars on our website.
Domain name registrations under country-code Top-Level Domain Names (ccTLDs) can be made through the ccTLD operators.
This web page aggregates existing content across the icann.org website on the topic of registering a domain name. If you have suggestions or would like to submit an inquiry, please contact ICANN organization's Global Support Center's Global Support Center.
Contractual compliance complaints can be submitted here.
What is a domain name?
- Before you register a domain name
- How do I register a domain name?
- What are the rules for registration of .biz, .com, .info, .name, .net, .org, and .pro names?
- What are the rules for registration of .aero, .coop, and .museum names?
- Can I register a domain name that includes non-ASCII characters (such as Arabic or Chinese)?
- When I register a domain name, will my name and contact information become publicly available?
- How long does a registration last? Can it be renewed?
- I have seen advertisements for domain-name registration by companies not in the accredited registrar directory. Are these legitimate?
- I just registered a domain name. How do I turn this into a working website?
- Am I required to sign up for hosting services from the same company where I registered the domain name?