2006 ICANN Nominating Committee
Updated 18 April 2006
* Deadline for Submission of Statements of Interest Extended to 1 August 2006 *
Formal Call for Statements of Interest and Suggestions for Candidates
NomCom is responsible for the selection of all ICANN Directors except the President and those selected by ICANN's Supporting Organizations, and for such other selections as are set forth in the Bylaws. [Bylaws Article VII, Section 1]
The NomCom is charged with populating a portion of the ICANN Board as noted above, as well as the Council of the GNSO, the Interim ALAC, and the Council of the ccNSO. The NomCom complements the other means for filling a portion of key ICANN leadership positions achieved within the Supporting Organizations.
The Bylaws also state that the Nominating Committee shall adopt such operating procedures as it deems necessary, which shall be published on the Website.
The Nominating Committee is designed to function independently from the Board, the Supporting Organizations, and Advisory Committees. Nominating Committee members act only on behalf of the interests of the global Internet community and within the scope of the ICANN mission and responsibilities assigned to it by the ICANN Bylaws.
Members contribute to the Nominating Committee both their understanding of the broad interests of the Internet as a whole and their knowledge and experience of the concerns and interests of the Internet constituencies which have appointed them. The challenge for the Nominating Committee is to integrate these perspectives and derive consensus in its selections. Although appointed by Supporting Organizations and other ICANN entities, individual Nominating Committee members are not accountable to their appointing constituencies. Members are, of course, accountable for adherence to the Bylaws and for compliance with the rules and procedures established by the Nominating Committee.
Code of Ethics
Code of Ethics agreed to by the 2006 Nominating Committee.
- Nominating Committee Procedures explains the committee's role and objectives and how it will go about its work over the coming months.
- Statement of Interest (SOI) should be completed by anyone wishing to become a candidate. Download a text version of the SOI here. The Formal Call contains all information about becoming a candidate.
- Leadership Positions describes roles and responsibilities of the positions the Nominating Committee will fill in 2006.
- Conflict of Interest Policy all candidates should read this document and note in their SOI if they have a potential conflict with ICANN.
7 July 2006: ICANN Nominating Committee Extends Deadline for Submissions to 1 August 2006
30 June 2006: George Sadowsky appointed Chair of ICANN Nominating Committee
31 May 2006: ICANN Nominating Committee Chair Eugenio Triana Resigns
18 April 2006: Nominating Committee Issues Formal Call for Statements of Interest
Timeline Nominating Committee 2006
- 18 April to 16 July: Candidate recruitment.
- 16 July to mid-September: collection of candidate references and evaluation.
- Mid-September: Nominating Committee selection meeting.
- Mid-September to end October: due diligence and announcement of Selected Nominees before 31 October.
- December 8: Selected Nominees take their seats at the close of ICANN's 2006 Annual General Meeting, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Nominating Committee's posted responses to Frequently Asked Questions addresses questions regarding the formation of the committee. Additional updates and supplements will be posted from time to time as the committee's work progresses.
Board resolution of Eugenio Triana's appointment in Vancouver
Relevant ICANN Bylaws
Click here for a page collecting the provisions of the ICANN Bylaws relating to the Nominating Committee.
The members of the 2006 Nominating Committee are: George Sadowsky (Chair), Adam Peake (Associate Chair), Jayantha Fernando, Lars-Johan Liman, Rodney Joffe, Mohamed El Fatih El Tigani Ali, Jose Ovidio Salgueiro, Michael Froomkin, Madanmohan Rao, Wolfgang Kleinwaechter, Catherine Gabay, Ken Stubbs, Elliot Noss, Mike Silber, Tony Harris, Lucy Nichols, Sanford H. George, Bill St. Arnaud, Frannie Wellings, John Klensin, Thomas Roessler, Ken Fockler
Click here for background information on the Nominating Committee members.
Final Report [PDF, 981 KB]