ICANN Research and Analytics (Office of the CTO)
The overall goal of Research [and Analytics] is to provide trusted and verifiable information to the Internet community regarding the Internet's system of unique identifiers.
- Engage actively with the DNS technology communities to identify issues that fall within ICANN's remit and will benefit from the focused attention our researchers can bring to bear on the issue
- Facilitate or participate with these same communities in preparedness activities to protect against or mitigate threats to DNS ecosystem.
- Perform studies or analyze data to better understand the health and well-being of the DNS ecosystem.
Identifier Technologies Health Indicators (ITHI)
The scope of this ITHI initiative is all the Internet unique identifiers that ICANN helps coordinate, as outlined in the framework of the ICANN 2016-2020 Strategic Plan, Section 2.1 to "foster and coordinate a healthy, secure, stable, and resilient identifier ecosystem."
The goal of ITHI is to develop metrics to measure the health of the Internet's unique identifier system that ICANN helps coordinate. As soon as those metrics will be defined, ICANN will measure and track them over a substantive period of time to see the evolution of the "State of the Identifier Technology".
More information about the ITHI and current activities can be found on the ITHI web page.
Current Research Projects
The Research team is involved in several ongoing projects. These include:
- Root server system traffic analysis
- IPv6 compliance measurement tools
- DNS software analysis around specific issues