Welcome to the home page of the ICANN Ombudsman!
What is an Ombudsman?
An ombudsman (conventional English plural: ombudsmen) is a person who acts as a trusted intermediary between an organization and some internal or external constituency while representing not only but mostly the broad scope of constituent interests. An indigenous Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish term, Ombudsman is etymologically rooted in the Old Norse word umboðsmaðr, essentially meaning "representative". An ombudsman is an official, usually appointed by the government or by parliament, who is charged with representing the interests of the public by investigating and addressing complaints reported by individual citizens. Modern variations of this term include "ombuds", "ombudsperson", or "ombudswoman". (Thanks to Wikipedia)
What is the ICANN Ombudsman and what does he do for you?
- He is independent, impartial, and neutral;
- A reviewer of facts;
- An investigator of complaints about unfairness;
- An ADR practitioner
The ICANN Ombudsman has jurisdiction over complaints about:
- Things done (or not done) by one or more members of ICANN staff Board or an ICANN constituent body.
- Things done (or not done) by the Board of Directors which may be inconsistent with the Articles or the Bylaws.
The Ombudsman does not have the power to make, change or set aside a policy, administrative or Board decision, act, or omission. The Ombudsman does have the power to investigate these events, and to use ADR technique to resolve them.
You can also call the Ombudsman at +644 4720777 or +64210705236. If you cannot afford a toll call please email a number where I will call you.
I can also offer online dispute resolution if needed using some new technology, which is secure and with high quality video using ODRO. See this at http://www.odro.co.uk/
The Ombudsman has a blog posted on topics of interest and with any news.
The Ombudsman Facebook Page
Follow @ChrisLaHatte on Twitter
Headlines from the Ombudsman Blog …
- International Ombudsman Association Conference 2014
- Dispute Resolution Providers and Decisions
- Ombudsman Timetable at Buenos Aires
- Compliance Complaint Investigation Report
- Report on DIDP Disclosure
Please click here to view the Annual Reports