NextGen@ICANN Selection Committee
NextGen@ICANN Selection Committee Membership Makeup
Each Supporting Organization/Advisory Committee/Stakeholder Group/Constituency/Regional At-Large Organization (SO/AC/SG/C/RALO) has the opportunity to nominate one representative to serve on the NextGen@ICANN Selection Committee.
- Community Groups are strongly encouraged to consider diversity criteria when selecting a Selection Committee member including, but not limited to, geographic and gender diversity.
Each Selection Committee member will serve a two-year term, as detailed in Terms of Service (below).
- If several community groups nominate representatives, the term may be shortened and group representatives may serve on a rotating basis.
Selection Committee member expectations:
- Represent the global Internet community, with a strong history of experience with specific sector(s) of the Internet ecosystem including, but not limited to, technical Internet issues; government, academia, commercial or non-commercial issues; I* entities; underserved and/or under-represented communities and/or Internet related development, or other fellowship programs
- Be an active member of the appointing SO/AC/SG/C/RALO for at least two years (Definitions of active membership may vary, but generally include penholders for ICANN policy/procedural comments contributing significant time to the community group)
- Have a good understanding of ICANN and work conducted by other SOs/ACs
- Have attended ICANN meetings as an active contributor/panelist/chair to a policy session
- It is desirable for Selection Committee representatives to have contributed meaningfully to cross-community working groups and/or be an active member of I* organisations
- Nominated Selection Committee members may be NextGen@ICANN alumni
NextGen@ICANN Selection Committee Responsibilities
The NextGen@ICANN Selection Committee is responsible for assessing all applications for the NextGen@ICANN Program received through the online application system. Selection Committee members will then determine which applicants have best met the posted Applicant Selection Criteria. A time commitment of approximately 20 hours over three weeks is required (for each application round).
- Support outreach efforts of the NextGen@ICANN Program
- Work closely with NextGen@ICANN Program staff to follow the implementation and evaluation process
- Update criteria for NextGen@ICANN selection regularly (every two years)
Terms of Service
- Members of the Selection Committee shall serve for a total of two years (6 application rounds) [Note that terms may be shortened if several community groups nominate representatives to allow for rotation of committee members.]
- Selection Committee members are expected to devote a significant amount of time to the NextGen@ICANN Program; if a member chooses to resign, the relevant community groups will nominate a replacement for the remainder of the tenure
- When the Selection Committee changes (every two years), former Selection Committee members are encouraged to share their experiences and insights with the new Section Committee members
- Selection Committee members will be supported by ICANN staff as needed, via conference calls and email
- Selection Committee members may not serve as NextGen@ICANN Program mentors
Application Assessment and Decision-Making Process
- 12 NextGen slots will be available per round
- Each Selection Committee member assesses the application based on the following applicant criteria: (1) diversity, (2) experience, (3) ICANN knowledge and engagement, and (4) potential for future engagement. Selection Committee members will review and revise the criteria every two years, as appropriate.
- NextGen@ICANN Program slots will be filled based on the scores and qualitative assessments drawn from the Selection Committee's reviews, while considering the need for regionally diverse candidates from a range of sectors, including those from underserved and/or under-represented communities, along with sectors that lack diverse representation within ICANN.
NextGen Selection Committee Members
As part of The NextGen@ICANN program approach, the Selection Committee is composed of members nominated by their respective Supporting Organization/Advisory Committee. The following members will start their work in October of 2022:
|Community Group||Selection Committee Nominee|
Anri Van Der Spuy
Tijani Ben Jemaa
Martin Silva Valent
Srinivas (Sunny) Chedi
Rao Naveed Bin Rais