2017 ICANN Nominating Committee
2017 NomCom Selected Nominees Announced
NomCom 360 Reviews
- External Reviews – 2017 Leadership Team
- Internal Reviews – 2017 NomCom Members [PDF, 1.86 MB]
- 2017 NomCom Operating Procedures
- 2017 NomCom Guidelines
- 2016 NomCom Final Report [PDF, 1.98 MB]
- 2017 NomCom Code of Conduct
- ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior [PDF, 157 KB]
Board and Community Recommendations to NomCom
- Interview with ICANN's NomCom Leadership at ICANN58 in Hyderabad
Reporting Conflicts or Misconduct
The 2016 NomCom implemented a Whistleblower email for members to use if they needed to report misconduct. The 2017 NomCom is continuing the Whistleblower email. The system allows conflicts to be declared even if it is the Chair that is being suspected of being in conflict. NomCom Staff administers the mailbox and shares information with ICANN Legal for further review.
The community and NomCom members may report misconduct or suspected conflict by sending an email to email@example.com.
Application Period Closed – 21 March 2017
Apply Now for ICANN Leadership Positions and PTI Board Positions:
Deadline is 21 March 2017
Updated: 7 February 2017
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers' (ICANN) Nominating Committee (NomCom) invites interested individuals to submit applications and/or to recommend candidates for ICANN's key leadership positions and Public Technical Identifiers (PTI) Director positions. Applications in 2017 are invited for the following positions:
- Two members of the ICANN Board of Directors*
- Three At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) representatives (one each from Africa, Asia/Australia/Pacific Islands and Latin America/Caribbean regions)
- Two members of the Council of the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO)
- One member of the Council of the Country-Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO)
- Two members of the PTI Board of Directors
*Per Article 7, Section 7.5 of the ICANN Bylaws, ". . . at all times each Geographic Region shall have at least one Director, and at all times no region shall have more than five Directors on the Board (not including the President). As used in these Bylaws, each of the following is considered to be a 'Geographic Region': Europe; Asia/Australia/Pacific; Latin America/Caribbean islands; Africa; and North America..." For additional information on the geographic diversity of the ICANN Board, see Board Geographic Diversity section below.
ICANN Leadership Positions
The ICANN leadership positions require regular participation in teleconferences and may involve significant international travel, including travel to ICANN's three Public Meetings. Recent ICANN Public Meetings were held in Marrakech, Helsinki and Hyderabad. Meetings during 2017 will be held in Copenhagen (10 – 16 March 2017), Johannesburg and Abu Dhabi.
Reasonable direct expenses incurred in the course of service will be reimbursed.
Each ICANN Board Member has the option to receive compensation in accordance with the resolution passed by the Board on 30 July 2014, but is not required to do so. (See https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2014-07-30-en#2.b.)
PTI Leadership Positions
Selected PTI Directors will serve without compensation, but can receive reimbursement for travel expenses, where authorized.
Individuals selected by the NomCom will have a unique opportunity to work with accomplished colleagues from around the globe and help shape the Internet's technical coordination and policy development.
Those selected will also gain valuable insights and experience from working across boundaries of knowledge, responsibility, culture and geography. They will be making a valuable public service contribution towards the functioning and evolution of this essential global resource.
Guided by the broad public interest, those selected will work to fulfill ICANN's mission to coordinate the global Internet's systems of unique identifiers, and in particular, to ensure its stable and secure operation.
Fluency in English is a requirement for all positions.
Leadership Positions Information
The following documents provide information (criteria and time commitment) about the ICANN and PTI Leadership Positions to be filled by the 2017 NomCom
The application period for ICANN and PTI leadership positions closed on 21 March 2017. The NomCom will announce their selections in August or September 2017. Successful candidates will take up their positions following ICANN's Annual Meeting in October 2017.
Candidate recommendations are encouraged and can be submitted through an on-line form at http://nomcom.icann.org/suggest.
ICANN Board Geographic Diversity
How the NomCom Works: a walk-through of the main steps in the NomCom process
8 – 9 November 2016: 2017 NomCom convened in Hyderabad, India
- Outreach opportunities discussed and planned.
ICANN Candidate Application Period (11 January 2017 – 21 March 2017) and PTI Board Application Period (7 February 2017 – 21 March 2017)
- Interested individuals complete and submit the online Candidate Application Request Form to begin the application process. NomCom staff (Joette Youkhanna and Jia Kimoto) sends an email acknowledging that the Application Request Form was received.
- Individual candidate applications are created in the RESTRICTED NomCom wiki platform for those that have submitted a Candidate Application Request Form. Each candidate is notified of their unique login credentials needed to access their application forms and information about the application process.
- NomCom staff monitors candidate applications for completeness during the application period. Applications in which candidates have indicated their application is complete are reviewed by NomCom staff. NomCom staff acknowledges the forms are complete or informs candidates if information is missing.
- As the end of the application process approaches, NomCom staff sends reminders to candidates that have not completed their applications.
21 March 2017 at 23:59 UTC: Application Period Ends
- The online Application Request Form is disabled.
21 – 30 March 2017: Wiki Application Grace Period
- Grace period for candidates to complete their personalized application forms on the NomCom's RESTRICTED wiki platform. Candidate applications that remain incomplete at the end of this period will not be considered.
31 March 2017: Wiki Applications Restricted
- Candidates are notified the application period has ended. Access to the NomCom wiki is restricted to only NomCom members and NomCom staff.
1 April to early June 2017: Review, Evaluation and Shortlisting of Candidates
- Candidate references are contacted requesting they provide a reference.
- NomCom members review candidate information, deliberate and agree on shortlisted candidates.
- Assessment consultant performs interviews and provides NomCom with Scorecard (assessment summary) of each candidate interviewed.
- NomCom 'Deep Dive' teams formed. They perform more in depth assessment of shortlisted candidates. This may include phone interviews.
- Shortlisted Board candidates are advised of the Board retreat in (location and dates TBD) September 2017 and invited to participate if selected.
- SO/AC shortlisted candidates will be advised of dates of on-boarding/training sessions that they should plan to attend.
- 25 – 29 June 2017: Interviews with Shortlisted Board Candidates (during ICANN59 Meeting) in Johannesburg, South Africa
- 30 June – 1 July 2017: NomCom Selection Meeting in Johannesburg, South Africa
Early July 2017: Candidates Notified
- Selected nominees are notified individually by email they have been selected and due diligence begins.
- All other candidates are informed that they have not been selected. Unselected candidates have the option of having their details carried over to the next NomCom cycle.
Early July 2017: The Secretary of ICANN Notified of Selected Nominees
- Written notice of the NomCom's selected nominees (Board, GNSO, ALAC, ccNSO and PTI Board) is sent.
- Early July – early September 2017: Due Diligence of Selected Nominees
September 2017: Selected Nominees Announced
- NomCom publicly announces the 2017 NomCom selected nominees.
21 – 23 September2017: ICANN Board Retreat in Montevideo
- ICANN Board selected nominees attend the Board Retreat in Montevideo, Uruguay.
28 October – 3 November 2017: ICANN60 in Abu Dhabi
- Selected ICANN Nominees attend ICANN60 meeting and take their positions at the conclusion of the ICANN Annual General Meeting.
Members | Bios | Organizational Chart
Leadership Team: Hans Petter Holen, Chair; Zahid Jamil, Chair Elect; Stephane Van Gelder, Associate Chair
Committee Members: Alejandro Acosta (RSSAC), Damon Ashcraft (IPC), Thomas Barrett (GNSO/Registrars SG), Eduardo Diaz (ALAC-NA), William Drake (NCUC), Hartmut Glaser (ASO-AC), Sandra Hoferichter (ALAC-EU), Dave Kissoondoyal (ALAC-AF), Paul Mitchell (until May 2016), Cheryl Miller (GNSO/CBUC-Large), Osvaldo Novoa (GNSO/ISPCP), Amir Qayyum (ALAC-AP), Jose Ovidio Salgueiro (ALAC-LAC), Jörg Schweiger (ccNSO), Mark Seiden (SSAC), Ken Stubbs (GNSO/Registries SG), Jason Sudowski (GNSO/CBUC-Small), Tim Wicinski (IETF)
NomCom Staff Support: Joette Youkhanna (Senior Project Manager) and Jia Kimoto (Project Manager)
Nominating Committee Member Biographies – click here
Committee Organization Chart [PDF, 81 KB]
The NomCom is designed to function independently from the ICANN Board, Supporting Organizations, and Advisory Committees. NomCom members act only on behalf of the interests of the global Internet community and within the scope of the ICANN mission and responsibilities assigned to it by the ICANN Bylaws.
NomCom members contribute understanding of the broad interests of the Internet community as a whole, and knowledge and experience of specific Internet constituencies who have appointed them.
The challenge for the NomCom is to integrate these perspectives and derive consensus in its selections. Although appointed by Supporting Organizations and other ICANN bodies, individual NomCom members are not accountable to their appointing bodies.
NomCom members are accountable for adherence to the ICANN Bylaws and for compliance with the rules and procedures established by the NomCom.