Identifier Systems Security, Stability and Resiliency (IS-SSR)
To be a trusted partner in multi-stakeholder, collaborative efforts to ensure the security, stability, and resiliency of the Internet's global identifier systems.
To preserve the security, stability and resiliency of the Domain Name System and domain name registration services, to promote user confidence and trust in these systems, and to strengthen these systems by through capability building among the ccTLD and public safety communities.
- Prevention through threat awareness and preparedness, collaboration and information sharing.
- Mitigation through information sharing and coordinated response
- Adoption of best practices through collaboration and capability building.
- Understanding through analysis of DNS data, domain registration service data and other data associated with identifier systems.
- Security awareness through competencies lending activities.
- Establishment of trustworthiness through transparency, communication and reliable execution.
Identifier System SSR Overview
The overall goal of IS-SSR programs is to ensure the security, stability and resiliency of the Internet's Identifier systems. To achieve this goal, ICANN will:
- Engage actively with security, operations, and public safety communities to gather and process intelligence data that indicate (imminent) threats to DNS or domain registration service operations (the "DNS ecosystem").
- Facilitate or participate with these same communities in threat preparedness activities to protect against or mitigate threats to DNS ecosystem.
- Perform studies or analyze data to better understand the health and well-being of the DNS ecosystem.
- Coordinate DNS vulnerability disclosure reporting https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/vulnerability-disclosure-05aug13-en.pdf
- Lend subject matter expertise to build capability among ccTLD and public safety communities in subjects relevant to the DNS ecosystem, including DNSSEC, abuse or misuse of DNS infrastructures or operations.
- Assist in DNS ecosystem risk management activities.
- With ICANN's Global Stakeholder Engagements team, participate in a global, multi-stakeholder effort to improve cybersecurity and mitigate cybercrime.
Want to learn more about Identifier Systems SSR?
Listen to an audio stream archive of ICANN's Security, Stability, Resiliency Team – Outreach Session (English, Español, Français), read the transcripts (English, Español, Français), or view the presentation (English).
Visit the Security Team page for contact information.