2008 ICANN Nominating Committee
Updated 18 April 2008
Nomination Period now closed
The application period for the Nominating Committee 2008 has now closed.
The Committee received 78 applications, which it is currently reviewing.
65 applications were received from men, and 13 were received from women. The geographic breakdown of applications is:
- Africa: 15
- Asia-Australia-Pacific: 14
- Europe: 27
- Latin America and Caribbean: 8
- North America: 20
The Committee will fill the following seats:
- 2 Board Directors
- 2 ALAC members
- 1 ccNSO Council member
- 1 GNSO Council member
The Committee has begun work reviewing the applications and expects to make its selections within six weeks after ICANN's Paris meeting at the end of the June 2008.
In the meantime, the Committee will be following up with applicants and references.
The final selections will be made public in early September and those selected will take their positions at the conclusion of the ICANN Annual Meeting in November 2008.
If you are interested in applying to the 2009 Nominating Committee, the Committee will be looking for:
- 3 Board Directors
- 3 ALAC members (from Africa, Latin America and Caribbean and Asia/Australia/Pacific regions)
- 2 GNSO Council members
- 1 ccNSO Council member
Please come back some time in November 2008 when the website will be updated with full details of how and when to apply.
ICANN's Nominating Committee
2008 Nom Com will select:
- Two members of the ICANN Board of Directors
- One member of the Council of the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO)
- One member of the Council of the Country-Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO)
- Two members of the At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) (European and North American regions)
The invitation to submit a Statement of Interest to serve in ICANN leadership positions will be published in the near future. Please check back on this webpage for further information.
- Committee's Charge
- Code of Ethics
- Committee Documents
- Committee and Related Announcements
- Timeline Nominating Committee 2008
- Frequently Asked Questions
NomCom is responsible for the selection of all ICANN Directors except the President and those selected by ICANN's Supporting Organizations, and for such other selections as are set forth in the Bylaws. [Bylaws Article VII, Section 1]
The NomCom is charged with populating a portion of the ICANN Board as noted above, as well as the Council of the GNSO, the Interim ALAC, and the Council of the ccNSO. The NomCom complements the other means for filling a portion of key ICANN leadership positions achieved within the Supporting Organizations.
The Bylaws also state that the Nominating Committee shall adopt such operating procedures as it deems necessary, which shall be published on the Website.
The Nominating Committee is designed to function independently from the Board, the Supporting Organizations, and Advisory Committees. Nominating Committee members act only on behalf of the interests of the global Internet community and within the scope of the ICANN mission and responsibilities assigned to it by the ICANN Bylaws.
Members contribute to the Nominating Committee both their understanding of the broad interests of the Internet as a whole and their knowledge and experience of the concerns and interests of the Internet constituencies which have appointed them. The challenge for the Nominating Committee is to integrate these perspectives and derive consensus in its selections. Although appointed by Supporting Organizations and other ICANN entities, individual Nominating Committee members are not accountable to their appointing constituencies. Members are, of course, accountable for adherence to the Bylaws and for compliance with the rules and procedures established by the Nominating Committee.
Code of Ethics
Code of Ethics agreed to by the 2008 ICANN Nominating Committee.
- 2007 Nom Com Report [PDF, 196 KB]
- Nominating Committee Procedures
- Statement of Interest
- Leadership Positions
- Conflict of Interest Policy
Committee and Related Announcements
- 13 June 2008 - Update on 2008 ICANN Nominating Committee, http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-13jun08-en.htm
- 18 April 2008 - Nomination Period Closes for 2008 Nom Com, http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-18apr08.htm
- 20 March 2008 - Time Running Out to Make the Internet Your Business, http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-20mar08.htm
- 10 February 2008 - Update on the 2008 ICANN Nominating Committee, http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-3-10feb08.htm
- 14 December 2007 - 2008 ICANN Nominating Committee Issues Invitation for Statements of Interest in ICANN Leadership Positions, http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-14dec07.htm
- 4 December 2007 – Nominating Committee Call for Expressions of Interest in Assessment Team, http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-04dec07.htm
- 6 November 2007 – 2008 ICANN Nominating Committee Convenes in Los Angeles, http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-07nov07.htm.
- 11 September 2007 – Hagen Hultzsch appointed Chair of ICANN Nominating Committee, http://www.icann.org/minutes/minutes-11sep07.htm.
Timeline Nominating Committee 2008
- Announcement of Formal Call—15 December 2007
- Deadline of Formal Call for Full Consideration—15 April 2008
- Review and Evaluation—mid-April to end June
- Face-to-Face Meeting and Selection—27-29 June 2008 in Paris
- Results Announced to ICANN Secretary—mid September 2008
- Selected candidates take their positions as the conclusion of the ICANN Annual General Meeting 2008, 7 November 2008
The Nominating Committee's posted responses to Frequently Asked Questions addresses questions regarding the formation of the committee. Additional updates and supplements will be posted from time to time as the committee's work progresses.
Click here for a page collecting the provisions of the ICANN Bylaws relating to the Nominating Committee.
The members of the 2008 Nominating Committee are: Hagen Hultzsch (Chair), Wolfgang Kleinwaechter (Associate Chair), George Sadowsky (Advisor to the Chair), Karen Banks, Phil Davidson, Ute Decker, Grant Forsyth, Matias Altamira Gigena, Hartmut Glaser, Caroline Greer,
Click here for background information on the Nominating Committee members.