2007 ICANN Nominating Committee
Updated 21 May 2007
Nomination Period Now Closed
The 2007 Nominating Committee will select:
- 3 seats on the ICANN Board of Directors
- 2 members to Generic Names Supporting Organization Council (GNSO)
- 3 members of the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC)
(from Africa, Latin America and Caribbean and Asia/Australia/Pacific regions)
- 1 Country Code Names Support Organization Council (ccNSO) member
Volunteer to serve in ICANN leadership positions, submit a statement of interest.
- Committee's Charge
- Code of Ethics
- Committee Documents
- Committee and Related Announcements
- Timeline Nominating Committee 2007
- Frequently Asked Questions
NomCom is responsible for the selection of all ICANN Directors except the President and those selected by ICANN's Supporting Organizations, and for such other selections as are set forth in the Bylaws. [Bylaws Article VII, Section 1]
The NomCom is charged with populating a portion of the ICANN Board as noted above, as well as the Council of the GNSO, the Interim ALAC, and the Council of the ccNSO. The NomCom complements the other means for filling a portion of key ICANN leadership positions achieved within the Supporting Organizations.
The Bylaws also state that the Nominating Committee shall adopt such operating procedures as it deems necessary, which shall be published on the Website.
The Nominating Committee is designed to function independently from the Board, the Supporting Organizations, and Advisory Committees. Nominating Committee members act only on behalf of the interests of the global Internet community and within the scope of the ICANN mission and responsibilities assigned to it by the ICANN Bylaws.
Members contribute to the Nominating Committee both their understanding of the broad interests of the Internet as a whole and their knowledge and experience of the concerns and interests of the Internet constituencies which have appointed them. The challenge for the Nominating Committee is to integrate these perspectives and derive consensus in its selections. Although appointed by Supporting Organizations and other ICANN entities, individual Nominating Committee members are not accountable to their appointing constituencies. Members are, of course, accountable for adherence to the Bylaws and for compliance with the rules and procedures established by the Nominating Committee.
Code of Ethics
Code of Ethics agreed to by the 2007 Nominating Committee
- Nominating Committee Procedures
- Statement of Interest (SOI)
- Leadership Positions
- Conflict of Interest Policy
Committee and Related Announcements
- 30 May 2007 - Update on the 2007 ICANN Nominating Committee, http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-30may07.htm
- 30 April 2007 - ICANN Nominating Committee Extends Deadline for Statements of Interest to 18 May 2007, http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-30apr07.htm
- 16 April 2007 - Reminder - Deadline for Statements of Interest to ICANN Nominating Committee is 1 May 2007, http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-16apr07.htm
- 20 February 2007 - Final Reports of the 2005 and 2006 Nominating Committee, http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-20feb07.htm
- 1 February 2007 - 2007 ICANN Nominating Committee Issues Formal Call for Statements of Interest, http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-01feb07.htm
- 12 December 2006 - ICANN Seeks Public Comments on Proposed Terms of Reference for Independent Review of the Nominating Committee, http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-12dec06.htm
- 8 December 2006 - George Sadowsky appointed Chair of ICANN Nominating Committee, http://www.icann.org/minutes/resolutions-08dec06.htm#_Toc27198294
- 20 December 2006 - Update on the 2007 Nom Com Meeting in São Paulo, Brazil, http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-20dec06.htm
Timeline Nominating Committee 2007
- Announcement of Formal Call—1 February 2007
- Deadline of Formal Call for Full Consideration—1 May 2007
- Deadline extended until 18 May 2007 23:59 UTC
- Review and Evaluation—May to early July
- Face-to-Face Meeting and Selection—early July 2007
- Results Announced to ICANN Secretary—before 2 October 2007
- Selected candidates take their positions as the conclusion of the ICANN General Meeting 2007, 2 November 2007
Click here for a page collecting the provisions of the ICANN Bylaws relating to the Nominating Committee.
The members of the 2007 Nominating Committee are: George Sadowsky (Chair), Adam Peake (Associate Chair), Karen Banks, Ken Fockler, Grant Forsyth, Michael Froomkin, Sandy George, Tony Harris, Wolfgang Kleinwaechter, Lucy Lynch, Bill Manning, Russ Mundy, Lucy Nichols, Madanmohan Rao, Sebastian Ricciardi, Paul Stahura, Ken Stubbs, Mohammed El Fatih El Tigani Ali, Christopher To, Jayantha Fernando, Jose Luis Ribeiro Filho, Karsten Meinhold
Click here for background information on the Nominating Committee members