Report on Board Informational Calls on IANA Stewardship Transition
The Board held an Informational Call on the IANA Stewardship Transition telephonically on 4 November 2015 at 1300 UTC. Due to time constraints, the call reconvened at 2100 UTC.
Board Directors present for all or part of the meeting:
Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Cherine Chalaby (Vice Chair), Steve Crocker (Chair), Chris Disspain, Asha Hemrajani, Lito Ibarra, Markus Kummer, Lousewies van der Laan, Erika Mann, Ram Mohan, George Sadowsky, Thomas Schneider, Ron da Silva, Bruce Tonkin, Suzanne Woolf and Kuo-Wei Wu
Board Liaisons present for all or part of the meeting:
Ram Mohan (SSAC Liaison), Thomas Schneider (GAC Liaison), Jonne Soininen (IETF Liaison), and Suzanne Woolf (RSSAC Liaison)
Secretary: John Jeffrey (General Counsel and Secretary)
ICANN Staff present for all or part of the meeting:
Grace Abuhamad, Akram Atallah, Megan Bishop, Michelle Bright, David Conrad, Samantha Eisner, Tarek Kamel, Melissa King, Vinciane Koenigsfeld, Theresa Swinehart and Tarek Kamel
Review of Timeline & Milestones
The Board discussed the updated timeline to the transition with a focus on the discussions that are occurring at the moment within the CCWG-Accountability, including the preparation of the respective documents that will be coming out on 15 November (the higher level executive summary document of changes and recommendations) and 30 November (the more detailed report documenting the recommendations within the proposal).
Update on Key Issues
The Board received an update on key areas, including:
- Status of the ICG proposal, with agreement from the Board to be prepared to consider the proposal quickly upon receipt.
- Preparations to provide public comment on the RIR SLA's that are back up for comment.
- Status on the IPR discussions within the CWG-Stewardship.
- Overview on the status of GAC discussions on Stress Test 18.
- Full Board recall: the Board discussed the evolution of the community thresholds required to enact this power, in light of the clear indication that some ACs will not be participating in the community consensus process.
- Human Rights: the Board received an update on the evolution of the human rights issue within WP4 and the proposed Bylaws language under consideration. The Board requested some analysis of the impact of the current language under discussion.
- Mission Statement: the Board discussed the work in the CCWG following the IAB's request to modify the Mission Statement, and discussed the relationship of a revised IRP with the Mission Statement.
No resolutions were considered or approved during the Informational Call.