Emergency Assistance Program for Continued Internet Access
*Deadline to submit expressions of interest is 27 March 2023*
ICANN's Emergency Assistance Program for Continued Internet Access provides funding to provide Internet access and recovery for local populations during large-scale emergencies and disasters.
This program aims to positively impact the security, stability, and resiliency of the Internet and management of the unique identifiers by making funds available to maintain accessibility when operators or other relevant actors might otherwise not have the resources to do so.
The ICANN organization (org) selects third-party emergency support organization(s) based on the specific crisis and outcome of an Expression of Interest process. As emergencies arise where ICANN could provide support, and subject to availability of funds, the ICANN org will coordinate with the selected organization(s) to identify if a monetary contribution would be appropriate in the specific instance.
The program's total annual contributions will be up to USD $1,000,000.
Organization must be able to demonstrate their ability to meet the following requirements:
- Eligible organizations shall be: (a) United States organizations recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code; (b) non-US organizations that demonstrate to ICANN's sole satisfaction the ability to obtain an equivalent determination to those organizations in clause (a); or (c) Intergovernmental Organization (IGOs) established pursuant to a treaty
- Demonstrated ability to use contributions in a method that is consistent with ICANN's mission
- Demonstrated experience implementing successful projects to provide Internet accessibility in emergencies in multiple regions around the globe
- Demonstrated experience coordinating with the relevant authorities, humanitarian agencies, civil society organizations, and private-sector actors as appropriate
- Demonstrated ability to meet tight timelines and provide periodic status updates, frequency to be determined
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) in English
- The applicant organization, its subcontractors and their respective directors, trustees, officers, and managers (collectively, the "Organization") are not the subject of any U.S. sanctions or other applicable trade laws and regulations that would prohibit ICANN from engaging in dealings with the Organization
- As necessary, provide information regarding the Organization sufficient for ICANN to verify ownership and control
- Accurate, timely and complete response to information requests from ICANN for diligence purposes (failure to respond to ICANN's satisfaction by the date specified in the request may disqualify an organization from consideration for any contribution)
The decision to select any organization as an outcome of this EOI will be based on, but not limited to, the following selection criteria:
- Global experience and outreach
- Financial health
Capability and experience, including qualifications and expertise in:
- Providing Internet accessibility in emergency situations
- Coordinating with the relevant authorities, humanitarian agencies, civil society organizations, and private-sector actors as appropriate
Providing support to relevant stakeholders for the Internet's Identifier Systems that are jeopardized in emergency situations
- Note: Emergency support includes, but is not limited to, mitigation of risk and repairs to root server infrastructure, Internet exchange points, and ccTLD technical or operational infrastructure.
- Proposed framework for future emergencies
- Compliance with ICANN's conflicts of interest policy
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Expression of Interest
ICANN is currently accepting expressions of interest until 27 March 2023 at 23:59 UTC.
Responses to EOI clarifying questions are available here.
Call for Expression of Interest (21 February 2023)
- Press Release: ICANN Seeks Partner Organizations to Provide Internet Access During Emergency Situations (21 February 2023)
- Blog: ICANN's Emergency Assistance Program Framework for Continued Internet Access (18 January 2023)