ICANN DNS Symposium | November 2022
The fifth ICANN DNS Symposium (IDS 2022) will be held 15-16 November 2022 in Brussels, Belgium. IDS 2022 will be held immediately before the IANA Community Day on 17 November.
The theme for IDS 2022 is "Examining the effects of both centralization and diversification in the DNS."
The devices of more than 20% of Internet users are configured to use public Domain Name System (DNS) resolvers, according to some studies. A small set of registry service providers are responsible for a large set of top-level domains (TLDs). An attack against a single service provider's infrastructure can affect a large percentage of Internet users. At the same time, there are more public resolver services and more TLDs than ever. This prompts the question, "Is the DNS overly centralized or adequately diversified?" ICANN invites speakers to present topics on centralization and diversification in the DNS. Presentations could include measurements and fact-based predictions, and discussions about risk mitigation and scalability in relation to either greater or lesser centralization, greater or lesser diversity, or both.
Adjacent to the ICANN DNS Symposium, IANA will be holding a half-day workshop focused on key technical evolution projects within IANA relating to the DNS. Topics will include a discussion of how to perform a DNSSEC algorithm rollover for the DNS root zone, and reviewing and updating the TLD technical requirements for root zone changes. TLD managers, DNS experts, and other interested parties are encouraged to attend.
IANA Community Day
- Measuring the centralization of DNS resolution
- Concentration of authoritative services
- Studying DNS Resolver Concentration
- Consolidation amongst top level domains
- Observation of DNS providers for the new gTLDs
- Diversity, collaboration, and independence in the Root Server System
- Who controls the Internet? A look at diversity of authoritative NS records in gTLDs
- Authoritative DNS centralization
- Blockchain naming as only partial decentralization
- DNS resilience and centralization: a data-oriented analysis
- Enabling linguistic diversity of the Domain Name System
- Diversifying beyond the traditional DNS ecosystem: responsible integration into blockchain namespaces
- The Phoenix Domain Attack
- DNS ERROR reporting
- Exploring DNSBL query traffic
- SAC121: SSAC briefing on routing security
- An Initiative to promote DNS operational best practices
- Technical Check Evolution
- Authentication improvements for Root Management
Hotel and Venue:
Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place
Rue Auguste Orts 3-7
1000 Brussels, Belgium
T: +32 2 516 9090
Hotel Website: Click here
Register to Attend IDS 2022 and/or the IANA Community Day*
*There will be no onsite registration facilities for this event so you must register in advance. In-person registration will close on 12 November 2022.
Remote participation information will be forthcoming
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with "ICANN DNS Symposium" in the subject line.
View IDS 2021 webpage (virtual event)
View IDS 2020 webpage (canceled event)