Today, I am pleased to report that we have received 116 completed applications for the 2021 open ICANN leadership positions. The application period closed on 29 March 2021, as outlined in this previous announcement.
About the 2021 NomCom Candidates
Out of 116 completed applications:
- 26 percent of applicants were female, 58 percent of applicants were male, 16 percent did not disclose
- 28 percent of applicants are from Africa
- 29 percent of applicants are from Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands
- 16 percent of applicants are from Europe
- 17 percent of applicants are from Latin America and Caribbean
- 10 percent of applicants are from North America
Open Leadership Positions
As a reminder, the 2021 NomCom application round had nine open leadership positions. We have accepted applications for the following key leadership roles:
- Three members of the ICANN Board of Directors
- Three regional representatives for the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) – one each representing Africa; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands; and Latin America and Caribbean
- Two members of the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Council – one representing the Contracted Parties House and one representing the Non-Contracted Parties House
- One member of the Country Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) Council
Although we cannot meet in person, we are working with the ICANN Board and organization to ensure that the NomCom's effort continues during these challenging times. Currently, we are in the assessment period. During this period, NomCom delegates undertake a series of steps to evaluate the applications. These steps are summarized below and include but are not limited to:
- Independently reviewing each of the applications.
- Holding a meeting to review all of the applications and narrow down the list of applicants.
- Performing a deep dive into the remaining list of applicants.
- Holding a second assessment meeting based on this shortlist of applicants.
- Conducting virtual interviews with shortlisted candidates.
After due diligence is complete, our goal is to announce the NomCom selectees by August. Until then, we'll continue to update you about our progress on the assessment process.
For more information about the leadership positions, our timeline, and the NomCom, please visit the NomCom 2021 page.
On behalf of the 2021 NomCom, stay healthy and safe.