Read ICANN Blogs to stay informed of the latest policymaking activities, regional events, and more.

Making Headway on ICANN’s Implementation of Non-Policy Recommendations

10 May 2023

With the publication of the Work Stream 2 Implementation Summary – Q1 2023 Quarterly Report and ICANN Specific Reviews Q1 2023 Quarterly Report, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers organization (ICANN org) shows great progress on the implementation of non-policy recommendations. This includes a major breakthrough in the completion of Work Stream 2 (WS2) recommendations.

The overall org commitment toward the implementation of the various Board-approved recommendations, with over 5,000 hours of work on addressing the implementation of Specific Reviews to date in Fiscal Year 2023, as well as efforts to document implementation are a testimony to the org's responsiveness, accountability, and transparency.

Getting into the specifics of each report, the Work Stream 2 Implementation Summary – Q1 2023 Quarterly Report contains updates on the org and community efforts to implement recommendations from WS2 of the Cross-Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability.

The org more than doubled its set of complete recommendations. Out of the 65 recommendations for the org to implement, 43 recommendations (66%) are complete compared to 20 in Q4 2022. In addition, 29% of the remaining recommendations (19) are in progress, leading to a total of 95% of recommendations that are either currently listed as in progress or complete.

Work also continues on the community implementation of WS2 recommendations. Notably, in Q1 2023, the WS2 Community Coordination Group agreed on the Outcomes Report, which encapsulates the community alignment reached on the diversity elements. Community groups are now considering the Outcomes Report.

As it relates to Specific Reviews recommendations, the org made steady progress as it embarked on the implementation journey of nine additional Board-approved recommendations. Overall, of the 70 Board-approved Specific Reviews recommendations, 28 were considered complete in Q1 2023 (26 in Q4 2022), 31 in progress (24 in Q4 2022), and 11 not started (20 in Q4 2022). This translates to 84% of recommendations being either in progress or complete versus 71% in Q4 2022. Furthermore, considerable efforts were made to move pending recommendations to Board consideration.

The ICANN Specific Reviews Q1 2023 Quarterly Report aggregates the information for all four Specific Reviews:

As highlighted in the ICANN FY24-28 Operating and Financial Plan and FY24 Operating Plan, the Board recently approved these projects as key initiatives for the org.

To learn more about these efforts, ICANN org invites you to join the progress overview it plans to deliver during the preparatory week for the ICANN77 Policy Forum.


Giovanni Seppia

Giovanni Seppia

Vice President - Implementation Operations