27 August 2019 23:59 UTC
14 October 2019 23:59 UTC
Staff Report Due
28 October 2019 23:59 UTC
Purpose: This Public Comment proceeding seeks input on the "Next Steps to Improve the Effectiveness of ICANN's Multistakeholder Model" document, to develop a Work Plan for Evolving ICANN's MSM. The Work Plan will map the work to be done during the Strategic Plan time period of fiscal years 2021 – 2025 to address these issues and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of ICANN's MSM.
The Work Plan will capture four essential elements:
- What is the issue that needs to be addressed?
- Who will take on the task of developing a solution or an approach to address the issue?
- When will the owner of that task deliver a proposed solution or approach within the 2021-2025 Strategic Plan period; and
- What resources will the owner need to deliver a solution or approach to address the issue?
- Once complete, the Work Plan will become part of ICANN's Five-Year Operating Plan, which will be published for Public Comment in 2020.
Current Status: At ICANN65 in Marrakech, the focus of Evolving ICANN's MSM turned to developing a Work Plan. This builds on the facilitated conversation with the community, webinars and Public Comment that resulted in a list of issues the community believes may be hampering the more effective and efficient functioning of ICANN's MSM. With a list of issues identified, we can now begin to create a Work Plan that will ensure solutions or approaches to these issues will be developed over the Strategic Plan's time frame of fiscal years 2021 – 2025.
Next Steps: One important step in this process is to ensure that the Work Plan does not create any unnecessary, duplicative work for the community. To ensure that does not happen, the call for Public Comment identifies where there may be potential solutions that exist or are being developed in other community work streams (E.g. WS2, ATRT3, PDP3.0, Streamlining the Organizational Reviews) that could address an issue on the Issues List. Public Comment is requested on whether potential solution(s) could sufficiently address the issue or not. If there is a potential solution that sufficiently addresses the issue, the issue will not become part of the Work Plan.
Where an issue has been identified by the community and there is not a solution that sufficiently addresses it, comment is invited to identify who should take on the task of developing a solution (E.g. AC, SO, Community-as-a-whole, ICANN Board, ICANN Org).
Section I: Description and Explanation
The document presents a description of each issue on the Issues List to the reader. Excerpts from community input is included in the issue description to provide context or examples about the nature of the issue and how it is hampering the more effective and efficient functioning of ICANN's MSM. The document also identifies existing solutions or solutions that are being developed in other community work streams that could potentially address the issue in question. Commenters are invited to provide comment on the following questions:
- Is there an existing solution or a solution being developed in other work streams that could sufficiently address the issue? If yes, comment on how you think it will sufficiently address the issue. If there is an existing or potential solution being developed in the community that is not identified in this document, please identify that solution and explain whether it will sufficiently address the issue. If you have your own solution to an issue that you would like to suggest, please do so.
- If there isn't a solution that will sufficiently address this issue, who should take on the task of developing a solution (e.g. Advisory Committee, Supporting Organization, community, ICANN Board, ICANN organization)? Please be specific about which entity or which community process should take on the task.
- How would you prioritize the issue?
- Must be addressed in the Evolving ICANN's MSM Work Plan.
- Is fully addressed by solution being developed in another work stream.
- Should be discussed and addressed at a later time.
- This issue is not a priority and need not be addressed to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of ICANN's MSM.
All comments are welcome and you are asked to address the three questions outlined above.
Section II: Background
Through community input at ICANN63, ICANN64, ICANN65, a Public Comment proceeding, and three webinars held in May and June 2019, a list of issues that the community believes may be hampering the more effective and efficient functioning of ICANN's MSM was identified, defined, prioritized and some issues were consolidated. The issues identified relate to ICANN's work processes, working methods and culture all of which affect the functioning of ICANN's MSM. At ICANN65 in Marrakech, the focus of the process turned toward developing a Work Plan. The Work Plan, which will also be created through community input and Public Comment, will map the work to be done to address these issues and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of ICANN's MSM.