Join Our Team
Preparing for Your Virtual Interview
The health and safety of our ICANN community and staff remains our top priority, and the ICANN organization continues to closely monitor the COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to all in-person business activities. Our staff are working virtually and we have suspended travel and face-to-face meetings. We are also holding all interviews virtually.
We know that virtual interviews can be challenging, so we’ve collected some tips to help you prepare for your ICANN interview.
1 Choose Your Space
Find an area that has plenty of light, and is as quiet and free of distractions as possible. Many people are working from home, and we know it’s not easy to find a space for yourself. Do your best to minimize interruptions, but we understand if unforeseen disruptions happen.
2 Set Up Your Technology
ICANN conducts most interviews via Zoom. If you’re uncomfortable with a Zoom video interview and prefer to conduct the interview by phone, let your ICANN Human Resources contact know in advance. To minimize technical difficulties, do the following checks before your interview:
- You can run Zoom one of two ways:
- Download the Zoom app: Visit the Zoom Downloads Center and choose the appropriate option for your needs.
- Use your web browser: The Zoom web client allows you to join a meeting using your web browser, without downloading any plugins or software. Let your ICANN Human Resources contact know that they will need to adjust their settings to enable the Join From Browser link to appear automatically for you.
- Test your audio and video settings on Zoom and make any necessary adjustments. Ensure that your Internet connection is stable and run an Internet speed test.
- Fully charge your laptop or phone.
On the day of your interview:
- Dress comfortably and use your best judgement as to what to wear.
- Plug in your laptop and keep your phone nearby in case you or your interviewer are unable to connect.
- Close any unused programs and tabs.
- Follow the instructions provided by your ICANN Human Resources contact.
- Sign on five minutes before your interview time. You can use this time to troubleshoot and notify your contact via phone or email if you are having trouble with Zoom.
- When you’re not speaking, consider muting the microphone. This is especially helpful if you’re unable to control the noise level in your space.
We wish you the best of luck and if you have any questions, your ICANN Human Resources contact is available to help.