Implementation of Work Stream 2 (WS2) of the Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability (CCWG-ACCT) continues to be a priority for the ICANN organization (org) in Fiscal Year 23.
Work continues on the 95 accountability and transparency-related recommendations directed at ICANN org, the Board, and the community. The ICANN org continues to support community groups' implementation work, as appropriate, and discussions of the WS2 Community Coordination Group (WS2 CCG), as it coordinates work on a set of recommendations that warrant a uniform community-wide approach. More information on the WS2 CCG scope and activities is available here.
At the end of the second calendar quarter of 2022 (Q2 2022), 15 recommendations directed at ICANN org were complete (up from 13 in Q1 2022), while implementation was in progress for 42 (up from 39 in Q1 2022). I invite you to read the Work Stream 2 Implementation Summary - Q2 2022 Quarterly Report to find out more about the implementation progress. Highlights of Q2 2022 include:
- ICANN org published a web page in May 2022 that contains a repository of documents relating to ICANN and the ICANN community's work on human rights. The page aims to enhance transparency and information-sharing as community groups implement Recommendation 3.1. ICANN org will continue to meet its obligations under the recommendation by providing ongoing support for ICANN community efforts to establish mechanism(s) necessary for upholding the human rights core value.
- ICANN org released a new web page that summarizes ICANN Organization Employee Practices and Resources, including all components identified by the CCWG-ACCT in Recommendation 7.1.1.
- Advisory 83 was selected as the provider of diversity, equity, and inclusion services in April 2022 to support ongoing community discussions in the development of uniform definitions of diversity elements (Recommendation 1.1) and a process for diversity-related complaints and issues for community groups (Recommendation 1.7). Advisory 83 has begun work to produce the practical diversity toolkit (Recommendation 1.6) to help community groups in their assessment, elaboration of diversity strategies/objectives, and associated reviews.
- A new diversity web page was published in early June 2022. It includes links to community discussions, resources for community groups, and programs supporting stakeholder participation in ICANN work. This page also provides information about diversity, equity, and inclusion within ICANN org.
- To address Recommendation 4.1.3, ICANN org has begun to update the registrar accreditation information web page to explain how registrars can identify the laws applicable to their operations and how those laws may differ from the laws with which ICANN must comply.
- Work to address Ombuds Office-related improvements has begun on a set of four additional recommendations that were folded into ongoing work to update the Ombuds Framework.
More recently, ICANN org released a new web page that compiles a list of mechanisms for collecting community input on ICANN org's performance. This marked the completion of Staff Accountability Recommendations 7.2.1.
ICANN org remains committed to the successful implementation of the WS2 recommendations.