I am pleased to report that the 2023 Nominating Committee (NomCom) has received an unprecedented 155 completed applications for this year's open ICANN leadership positions. The application period closed on 30 March 2023, as outlined in this announcement.
About the 2023 NomCom Candidates
Out of 155 applicants:
- 39 percent are from Africa.
- 25 percent are from Asia, Australia, or the Pacific Islands.
- 9 percent are from Europe.
- 15 percent are from Latin America or the Caribbean.
- 12 percent are from North America.
- 27 percent are female, 59 percent are male, and 14 percent did not disclose.
Open Leadership Positions
As a reminder, the 2023 NomCom is seeking to fill nine open leadership positions. We have accepted applications for the following key leadership roles:
- Two members of the ICANN Board of Directors
- One member of the Public Technical Identifiers (PTI) Board of Directors
- Three regional representatives to the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) – one each from the Africa region; the Asia, Australia, and Pacific Islands region; and the Latin America and Caribbean region
- Two members of the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Council – one representing the Contracted Parties House and one representing the Non-Contracted Parties House
- One member of the Country Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) Council
Currently, we are in the assessment period. During this period, NomCom delegates undertake a series of steps to evaluate the applications.
On 15 April 2023, the NomCom held the first assessment meeting and reviewed all submitted applications. The committee reviewed the criteria specific to each open leadership position and evaluated candidates' skills, qualifications, and experience. From this meeting, the committee selected a first short list of candidates.
The NomCom will form deep dive groups and conduct virtual interviews with the short-listed candidates, using assessment tools and summary reports that have been developed to evaluate each candidate equally and fairly.
The NomCom will hold its second assessment meeting in May 2023. After the second assessment, the committee will request video or written responses to a few questions via the online portal from the final short-listed candidates for the ALAC, ccNSO, and GNSO positions.
The NomCom will complete a due-diligence process for the final short-listed candidates for all open leadership positions.
The NomCom delegates will meet for the final deliberation process before and during ICANN77. Delegates will conduct live interviews with the final short-listed ICANN and PTI Board candidates. Delegates will vote on and confirm the final selection of candidates and alternates for the ICANN Board, the PTI Board, and the GNSO, ALAC, and ccNSO positions.
Our goal is to announce the NomCom selectees by August 2023.
For more information about the leadership positions, our timeline, and the NomCom, please visit the 2023 NomCom page.
On behalf of the 2023 NomCom, stay healthy and safe.