I am pleased to report that we have received 85 completed applications for the eight open 2022 ICANN leadership positions being considered by the Nominating Committee (NomCom). The application period closed on 18 March 2022, as outlined in this announcement.
About the 2022 NomCom Candidates
Out of 85 completed applications:
- 15 percent of applicants are from Africa.
- 27 percent of applicants are from Asia, Australia, or the Pacific Islands.
- 25 percent of applicants are from Europe.
- 20 percent of applicants are from Latin America or the Caribbean.
- 13 percent of applicants are from North America.
- 29 percent of applicants are female, 58 percent of applicants are male, and 13 percent did not disclose.
Open Leadership Positions
The 2022 NomCom will be selecting nominees for eight open leadership positions. We have accepted applications for the following key leadership roles:
- Three members of the ICANN Board of Directors
- One member of the Public Technical Identifiers (PTI) Board of Directors
- Two regional representatives to the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) – one each from Europe and North America
- One nonvoting member of the Generic Names Supporting Organization Council (GNSO Council)
- One member of the Country Code Names Supporting Organization Council (ccNSO Council)
Currently, we are in the assessment period. During this period, NomCom delegates undertake a series of steps to evaluate the applications.
Between 3 and 8 April 2022, the NomCom held the first assessment meeting and reviewed all submitted application forms. The committee reviewed the criteria specific to each open leadership position and evaluated candidates' skills, qualifications, and experience. From this meeting a first short list of candidates was selected.
The NomCom will form deep dive groups and conduct virtual interviews with the short-listed candidates, using assessment tools and summary reports that have been developed to evaluate each candidate equally and fairly.
The NomCom will hold its second assessment meeting at the end of May 2022. After the second assessment, the committee will request a video or written response via the online NomCom review from the final candidates for ALAC, the ccNSO, and the GNSO.
A due diligence process will also be completed for the final candidates for all open leadership positions.
The NomCom delegates will meet for the final deliberation process of the selection meeting prior to and during ICANN74. Delegates will conduct live interviews with the final short-listed ICANN and PTI Board candidates; they will also vote and confirm the final selection of candidates and alternates for the ICANN Board, PTI Board, GNSO, ALAC, and ccNSO positions.
Our goal is to announce the NomCom selectees by July 2022.
For more information about the leadership positions, our timeline, and the NomCom, please visit the 2022 NomCom page.
On behalf of the 2022 NomCom, stay healthy and safe.