IANA Naming Function Review (IFR) Initial Report
8 October 2020 23:59 UTC
2 December 2020 23:59 UTC
Staff Report Due
22 December 2020 23:59 UTC
Purpose: This Public Comment proceeding is on behalf of the IANA Naming Function Review Team (IFRT). The team conducted the review in accordance with the scope specified in Article 18 of the ICANN Bylaws, which centers around a review and evaluation of Public Technical Identifiers (PTI)'s performance of the IANA naming function against the contractual requirements in the IANA Naming Function Contract and the IANA Naming Function Statement of Work (SOW).
Current Status: The Initial Report outlines key findings and draft Recommendations. The IFRT is seeking community input.
Next Steps: The IFRT will carefully consider comments received and amend the report as it deems appropriate and in the public interest before submitting its final report to the ICANN Board of Directors. The IFRT expects to submit its final report to the Board by or before January 2021. The final report will be published for Public Comments in advance of the Board's consideration.
Your Comment: Your submission, including your name, will be published in the Public Comment archive on ICANN org's website. If you have any questions regarding Public Comment, please contact email@example.com.
Section I: Description and Explanation
This Public Comment proceeding is on behalf of the IANA Naming Function Review Team (IFRT) who seeks community input on its draft Initial Report.
The report contains findings and recommendations in four key areas:
- Provide greater transparency by posting certain documents on the web (two recommendations)
- Remove a duplicate clause found in the Bylaws. Both section 18.2.a(i) and (ii) describe the same process.
- Remove a requirement for formatting the Root Operations Monthly Audit Reports. This requirement is an obsolete carry-over from the NTIA contract, and as written cannot be fulfilled.
Section II: Background
On 16 September 2018, the first IFR was convened by the ICANN Board, in compliance with Article 18 of the ICANN Bylaws which state:
The Board, or an appropriate committee thereof, shall cause periodic and/or special reviews (each such review, an "IFR") of PTI's performance of the IANA naming function against the contractual requirements set forth in the IANA Naming Function Contract and the IANA Naming Function SOW to be carried out by an IANA Function Review Team ("IFRT") established in accordance with Article 18
The review team wrote several founding documents at the start of their work:
The Rules of Engagement provided the team with operating rules to set expectations on how to proceed with their work, as well as defining roles.
The Workplan created a practical and actionable path for the team.
The Scope of Work followed the ICANN Bylaws, defining such points as:
- the objective behind each scope requirement and how the team would execute it
- what inputs should be sought and considered by the team
- where the review had dependencies and where the review should ensure there was no overlap with other work
- expected deliverables
- methodology for drafting recommendations
In addition, the IFR wiki ensured transparency of all their work. It includes:
- Email options to contact the team, become an observer, etc.
- All IFRT created documents such as the initial scoping documents mentioned earlier
- List of past and upcoming Plenary meetings with meeting notes, recording, and all materials discussed
- IANA related webinars from past ICANN meetings and one recorded specifically for the IFRT
- Tracking for Action Items and Decisions Reached
- Links to resource material required for research
- Additional IANA naming services and PTI related back-ground material
- Fact Sheets reporting on the IFRT's productivity
- Links to IFR related Blogs
- Correspondence received by the IFRT
- Access to the team's email archive
Section III: Relevant Resources
Section IV: Additional Information
IANA Naming Function Review Team wiki: https://community.icann.org/display/ifr
Report of Public Comments