Public Participation Committee (PPC) Meeting Minutes
PPC Attendees: Sébastien Bachollet – Chair, Chris Disspain, Thomas Narten, Gonzalo Navarro, Mike Silber and Kuo-Wei Wu
Other Board Attendees: Ray Plzak, Bertrand de La Chapelle
Invited Attendee: Olivier Crépin-Leblond
Staff Attendees: Akram Atallah – Chief Operating Officer; David Olive – Vice President, Policy Development Support; Kurt Pritz – Senior Vice President, Stakeholder Relations; Samantha Eisner, Janice Douma Lange, Wendy Profit, Christina Rodriguez, Alina Syunkova, Nick Tomasso and Filiz Yilmaz
The following is a summary of discussion, action taken and actions identified:
- Minutes of Prior Meeting: The PPC approved the minutes of its prior meeting in January 2011.
ICANN Meetings Review: The PPC received an update of the work ongoing regarding the change of structure of ICANN meetings, and coordination with the Board Governance Committee on this topic. The PPC also discussed the budgeting process for meetings, including assessments for growths in attendance. Finally, the PPC discussed work towards the "hub city" concept with multiple year bookings, including the criteria necessary for the meeting sites.
- PPC subcommittee, in coordination with staff, to form agreed-upon series of principles for scheduling Mondays and Thursdays at the public meetings, as well as a process for managing scheduling, and report back to the PPC.
- PPC members to convene to discuss restructuring of meeting schedules if the Friday is removed from the public meetings, to assure that all expected activities are moved to a different time slot or are identified to proceed in a different way.
- Staff to provide budgeting information to the PPC for its meeting in Prague.
- Staff to provide updated information to the PPC regarding work on volume discounts and proposals towards the "hub city" concept, including criteria for desirable meeting sites.
- PPC Subcommittee to circulate letter for SO and AC chairs regarding public meeting design.
Language Services Review: The PPC received an update from staff on the status of the language services policy document, as well as forecasts for increasing the language services budget to meet the future demand for high-quality translation and interpretation services. The PPC also began a discussion regarding facilitating additional language communities accessing translations, as well as creating metrics for evaluating the usage of translated material.
- PPC members to review the draft policy document and provide comments to staff.
- PPC Community Consultation in Costa Rica: The PPC discussed the agenda for its session with the community in Costa Rica, including an update on the ATRT work, an update on the future of ICANN meetings, and a new framework for advancing ICANN outreach, including an ICANN academy proposal to train those coming into ICANN leadership positions.
- Schedule for Future PPC Meetings: The PPC briefly discussed scheduling of meetings throughout 2012, including the addition of telephonic meetings.