Minutes | Board Accountability Mechanisms Committee (BAMC) Meeting
BAMC Attendees: Alan Barrett, Becky Burr, Edmon Chung, Sarah Deutsch, Patricio Poblete, León Sánchez, and Katrina Sataki
Other Board Member Attendees: Manal Ismail
ICANN organization Attendees: Franco Carrasco (Board Operations Specialist), Casandra Furey (Associate General Counsel), John Jeffrey (General Counsel and Secretary), Elizabeth Le (Associate General Counsel), and Amy Stathos (Deputy General Counsel)
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken, and actions identified:
Procedural Evaluation of Reconsideration Request 22-2 – The BAMC noted for the record that the Committee members had unanimously approved online that Request 22-2 should be summarily dismissed because it does not satisfy the requirements to maintain a Reconsideration Request under Article 4, Section 4.2(c) of the ICANN Bylaws.
- Action(s) – ICANN org to publish the Summary Dismissal and notify the Requestors.
Discussion re .GCC Independent Review Process (IRP) – At its meeting on 18 May 2022, the BAMC discussed next steps following the Governmental Advisory Committee's (GAC) response regarding its rationale for the GAC Advice relating to the .GCC application. At that meeting, the BAMC approved a recommendation to the Board regarding next steps with respect to the .GCC IRP and asked ICANN organization to prepare Board materials on the recommendation. Here, the BAMC was presented with the draft Board paper setting forth the BAMC's recommendation that: (i) the Board ask the BAMC to review, consider, and evaluate the underlying basis for the GAC consensus advice that the .GCC application should not proceed, the Board's acceptance of that advice, and relevant related materials; and (ii) ask the BAMC to provide the Board with recommendations regarding next steps. Following discussion, the BAMC recommended that the Board approve the proposed action regarding the .GCC IRP.
- Action(s): ICANN org to finalize relevant Board materials.
- Update on .WEB IRP - The BAMC received an update on the .WEB IRP. ICANN org reported that there have been no activities since the BAMC Chair sent the letter to the interested parties requesting comprehensive briefing on the allegations relating to the Domain Acquisition Agreement (DAA) between Nu Dotco LLC and Verisign, Inc. and the allegations relating to Afilias Domains No. 3 Ltd.'s (now Altanovo Domains Limited) conduct during the Auction Blackout Period of the .WEB Auction. The BAMC noted that the deadline for initial submissions is 15 July 2022, and the deadline for reply submissions is 15 August 2022.
- Update re IRP Standing Panel Selection and Efforts of the IRP Implementation Oversight Team to Update the IRP – The BAMC received a status update on the composition of the omnibus IRP Standing Panel. The org reported that a consulting firm has been engaged to provide consulting services to the IRP Community Representatives Group in their vetting of candidates to nominate a slate of candidates to the Board for approval. The consulting firm has already begun working with IRP Community Representatives Group and will continue to do so in the upcoming months. ICANN org further reported that the Standing Panel candidates have been informed of the appointment of the consulting firm. With respect to the IRP-IOT, ICANN org reported that there has not been an IRP-IOT meeting since the last BAMC meeting.
- Litigation Update – The BAMC received a ligation update from ICANN org.
Published on 30 June 2022