Purpose: The purpose of this Public Comment proceeding is to obtain community input on the proposed modifications to the .JOBS Registry Agreement (RA) to accommodate a change to the TLD Sponsor via an Amendment to the .JOBS Registry Agreement. The proposed Amendment 1 is a result of discussions between ICANN org and Employ Media. Employ Media initiated negotiations of the .JOBS RA with ICANN org pursuant to Section 7.6 (i) and provided notification to ICANN org pursuant to Section 7.9 of the .JOBS Registry Agreement.
Current Status: Seeking input from the community on the proposed Amendment 1 to the .JOBS Registry Agreement resulting from negotiations between ICANN org and Employ Media.
Next Steps: Following the review of the Public Comments received, ICANN org will prepare a summary and analysis of the comments that will be published on the corresponding .JOBS Public Comment page. The report will be provided to the ICANN Board of Directors, and in consultation with the Board, ICANN org will make a decision regarding the proposed Amendment 1 to the .JOBS Registry Agreement.
Your Comment: Your submission, including your name, will be published in the Public Comment archive on ICANN org's website. If you have any questions regarding Public Comment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Section I: Description and Explanation
Since the inception of the .JOBS TLD in 2005, Employ Media, the Registry Operator for the .JOBS TLD, has delegated the duties of the .JOBS TLD Sponsor to the Society for Human Resource Management ("SHRM"). In this role, the Sponsor established an HR Council that functions independently as required by the .JOBS Registry Agreement.
Employ Media is seeking to replace SHRM and to assume the role and duties of the .JOBS TLD Sponsor, comparable to other legacy sponsored TLDs such as .ASIA, .AERO, .XXX, and .COOP. In becoming the TLD Sponsor, Employ Media intends to retain the TLD Sponsor responsibilities and commitments to the .JOBS TLD Community. With this change, Employ Media would preserve the concept of an HR Council and continue to ensure this HR Council functions independently to serve the needs and act in the interest of the .JOBS TLD Community.
The proposed Amendment 1 would modify the .JOBS Registry Agreement in the following ways:
- A change in TLD Sponsor from a third-party entity, SHRM, to the Registry Operator, Employ Media.
- Revised language reflecting the retention of the concept of an independent HR Council that will act in the interests of the .JOBS sponsored TLD Community, facilitate communications with the TLD Community, and provide TLD policy recommendations to the Registry Operator in its new role as the TLD Sponsor.
- Simplification and modifications to existing Specification 12 language (and other related provisions throughout the Registry Agreement) to accommodate the change in TLD Sponsor.
- Addition of the Registry Restrictions Dispute Resolution Procedure (RRDRP) to Section 2.19 of the Registry Agreement.
Section II: Background
As a legacy TLD, the .JOBS TLD has maintained its legacy "sponsored" status, and because of this was not eligible to utilize the Community gTLD Change Request process for Community gTLDs. Therefore, ICANN org and Employ Media agreed to invoke the bilateral amendment provision in Section 7.6 (i) of the current .JOBS Registry Agreement. This allowed ICANN org and Employ Media to enter into negotiations regarding proposed revisions to the .JOBS Registry Agreement for a change in TLD Sponsor, and would ultimately result in an Amendment to the .JOBS Registry Agreement. ICANN org leveraged concepts from the existing framework from the Procedure for Community gTLD Change Requests in its evaluation of the proposed change in the .JOBS TLD Sponsor. When considering the proposed changes to the .JOBS Registry Agreement, ICANN org sought to ensure that a change in the .JOBS TLD Sponsor would:
- Not result in a departure from or a drastic change to the TLD Sponsor's role, obligations, and commitments to the sponsored TLD Community or negative impact to the sponsored TLD Community.
- Establish further alignment of Specification 12 of the .JOBS Registry Agreement with those of other sponsored TLDs.
Further background is available in Employ Media's formal request letter to ICANN org.
Section III: Relevant Resources
- Current .JOBS Registry Agreement
- Proposed Amendment 1 to the current .JOBS Registry Agreement
- Redline* of the .JOBS Registry Agreement, demonstrating the proposed changes to the .JOBS Registry Agreement. *Please note that the redline provided is a reference for the community only. If approved, the changes will be reflected as noted in the proposed Amendment 1 to the .JOBS Registry Agreement. Since none of the proposed changes in this proposed Amendment 1 to the .JOBS Registry Agreement relate to the provisions modified by the 2017 Global Amendment, the redline has been provided on the 20 February 2015 version of the .JOBS Registry Agreement.
- Employ Media's formal request letter to ICANN org: Request to Commence Negotiations of the .JOBS Registry Agreement