Call for Expressions of Interest for Independent Financial Expert to ICANN Board Audit Committee
LOS ANGELES – 12 February 2019 – The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is seeking expressions of interest to serve as an external independent Financial Expert to the ICANN Board Audit Committee.
ICANN's Board Audit Committee is responsible for reviewing the annual financial report of ICANN's operations and financial position and overseeing ICANN's internal financial and accounting controls and procedures. To continue to improve controls and procedures, the Board Audit Committee adopts many of the best practices used by private company audit committees. One practice is the use of an external volunteer to serve as an independent consultant to the Board Audit Committee to provide financial expertise, advice and assistance on questions related to ICANN's financial statements (the "Financial Expert to Audit Committee").
Currently, the ICANN Board Audit Committee is seeking to fill this opening as soon as possible. It is not expected that the Financial Expert will attend every Audit Committee meeting but will serve at the pleasure of the Audit Committee to discuss or analyze issues as appropriate.
Key responsibilities, qualifications and expectations of the Financial Expert include:
- Be available to attend Board Audit Committee meetings (typically four to six per year) telephonically or as agreed upon, in person. Each committee meeting typically lasts 90 to 120 minutes, and the Financial Expert will provide oral or written reports to the Audit Committee summarizing observations or analyses, as necessary.
- Review materials circulated prior to Board Audit Committee meetings.
- Be available by email or phone call to Board Audit Committee to advise on issues related to the duties of the Audit Committee.
- Assist Board Audit Committee in its oversight of ICANN's financially-related risks.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
- Certified CPA (or equivalent) with a minimum of 15 years of experience in accounting, with an understanding of generally accepted accounting principles ("GAAP") and financial statements, as well as non-US-based accounting principles including International Financial Reporting Standards, with the ability to assess the general application of such principles in connection with the accounting for estimates, accruals, and reserves.
- Served on or consulted with both not-for-profit and for-profit Audit Committees.
- Experience analyzing financial statements and accounting and financial controls for both for-profit and not-for-profit businesses similar to ICANN in both size and industry.
- Expertise with Audit Committee best practices for for-profit and not-for-profit companies.
- Fluency in English required.
- Proven ability to communicate complex information and concepts, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of the Internet and Domain Name System preferred.
- Independent from ICANN's accounting firm, Independent Audit firm, Internal Audit function provider, and other ICANN-contracted parties.
- Independent from ICANN staff and ICANN's Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees.
- No conflicts of interest.
Compensation and Reimbursement
The Financial Expert to the Audit Committee will be a voluntary position and will not receive compensation for his or her time or expertise. All reasonable expenses for work performed as the Financial Expert to the Audit Committee shall be paid for by ICANN. These expenses may include, but are not limited to, travel costs incurred due to work for ICANN including airfare, lodging, meals, and ground transportation.
Should specific and significant amount of work pertaining to the role of the Financial Expert but not included above would be requested from the Financial Expert, reasonable compensation for the time spent shall be paid by ICANN.
The goal is to identify potential candidates in time for ICANN organization to make a presentation about the top candidates to the Audit Committee by May 15, 2019 and for the consultant to be engaged by June 30, 2019, ICANN's fiscal year end.
Expressions of Interest
Expressions of interest should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than by 5 April 2019.
ICANN's mission is to help ensure a stable, secure, and unified global Internet. To reach another person on the Internet, you need to type an address – a name or a number – into your computer or other device. That address must be unique so computers know where to find each other. ICANN helps coordinate and support these unique identifiers across the world. ICANN was formed in 1998 as a not-for-profit public-benefit corporation with a community of participants from all over the world.