2 January 2020 23:59 UTC
19 March 2020 23:59 UTC
Staff Report Due
25 February 2020 23:59 UTC
After review of the Summary of Public Comments, ICANN made revisions to the dates for three of fifteen ICANN Meetings to be held 2024 to 2028. This comment period has been extended to 19 March 2020 to provide the community with an opportunity to comment on the revised dates.
Purpose: The purpose of this Public Comment proceeding is to solicit and collect feedback from the community on the proposed dates for ICANN Public Meetings to be held in 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 and 2028. ICANN is also seeking feedback on revised dates for ICANN75 in 2022 to allow more time between events. The advance notice gives the community an opportunity to identify potential conflicts before ICANN posts the official dates. It also gives participants enough time to plan their travel and attendance.
Current Status: The Meetings and Global Stakeholder Engagement Teams worked together to select preliminary dates for ICANN Public Meetings for 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 and 2028. Revised dates were also identified for the Annual General Meeting in 2022. These proposed dates are now available for public review and comment from the community.
Next Steps: After the Public Comment period closes, ICANN will review comments and re-evaluate the dates and if needed, make changes. ICANN cannot accommodate every request but is committed to avoiding conflicts with holidays and community events. The final step is for ICANN to publish the official ICANN Public Meeting dates for 2022 (revised), 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 and 2028.
Section I: Description and Explanation
ICANN attempts to post dates for our triannual Public Meetings at least five years in advance. In selecting dates for meetings from 2024-2028, we take care to avoid scheduling conflicts with:
- Global, national, and religious holidays
- Community events
New proposed dates have also been identified for ICANN75, Annual General Meeting in 2022 to allow more time between events.
Section II: Background
The focus and length of ICANN's triannual meetings are defined as:
- First meeting: Community Forum – six (6) days
- Second meeting: Policy Forum – four (4) days
- Third meeting: Annual General Meeting – six (6) days
The Meeting Strategy Working Group (MSWG) recommendations adopted by the ICANN Board in June 2014, specified the following goals for selecting meeting dates:
- Maximize the quality of participation through global rotation of locations, remote participation, translation, outreach, and newcomer onboarding.
- Avoid conflicts with community events and globally recognized non-working or religious observance days.
- Schedule meetings, as much as possible, on recognized working days (Monday through Thursday).
- Rotate meeting locations so that in a period of five years, each geographic region hosts three meetings.
- Maintain a transparent process and solicit community feedback on the proposed dates.