21 August 2017 23:59 UTC
2 October 2017 23:59 UTC
Staff Report Due
23 October 2017 23:59 UTC
Purpose: The purpose of this public comment proceeding is to solicit and collect feedback from the community on the proposed dates for ICANN Public Meetings to be held in 2021, 2022, and 2023. The advance notice gives the community an opportunity to identify potential conflicts before ICANN posts the official dates. It also gives participants enough time to plan their travel and attendance.
Current Status: The Meetings and Global Stakeholder Engagement Teams worked together to select preliminary dates for ICANN Public Meetings for 2021, 2022, and 2023. These proposed dates are now available for public review and comment from the community.
Next Steps:After the public comment period closes, ICANN will review comments and re-evaluate the dates and if needed, make changes. ICANN cannot accommodate every request, but is committed to avoiding conflicts with holidays and community events. The final step is for ICANN to publish the official ICANN Public Meeting dates for 2021, 2022, and 2023.
Section I: Description and Explanation
ICANN attempts to post dates for our triannual Public Meetings at least five years in advance. In selecting dates for meetings from 2021 to 2023, we take care to avoid scheduling conflicts with:
- Global, national, and religious holidays
- Community events
Proposed Dates for ICANN Public Meetings:
|ICANN70 Community Forum||20 – 25 March 2021|
|ICANN71 Policy Forum||28 June – 1 July 2021|
|ICANN72 Annual General Meeting||23 – 29 October 2021|
|ICANN73 Community Forum||5 – 10 March 2022|
|ICANN74 Policy Forum||20 – 23 June 2022|
|ICANN75 Annual General Meeting||15 – 21 October 2022|
|ICANN76 Community Forum||25 – 30 March 2023|
|ICANN77 Policy Forum||19 – 22 June 2023|
|ICANN78 Annual General Meeting||21 – 27 October 2023|
Section II: Background
The Meeting Strategy Working Group (MSWG) recommendations, which the ICANN Board adopted in June 2014, defined the focus and length of ICANN's triannual meetings:
- First meeting: Community Forum – six (6) days
- Second meeting: Policy Forum – four (4) days
- Third meeting: Annual General Meeting – seven (7) days
The recommendations also specified goals for selecting meeting dates:
- Maximize the quality of participation through global rotation of locations, remote participation, translation, outreach, and newcomer onboarding.
- Avoid conflicts with community events and globally recognized non-working or religious observance days.
- Schedule meetings, as much as possible, on recognized working days (Monday through Thursday).
- Rotate meeting locations so that in a period of five years, each geographic region hosts three meetings.
- Maintain a transparent process and solicit community feedback on the proposed dates.
Section III: Relevant Resources
Proposed Dates for ICANN Public Meetings 2012 – 2023 [PDF, 636 KB]