Board Activities and Meetings
BGC Attendees: Maarten Botterman, Becky Burr (Chair), Ron da Silva, and Matthew Shears
Other Board Member Attendees: Cherine Chalaby, Sarah Deutsch, Chris Disspain, Avri Doria, Lito Ibarra, Göran Marby, León Sanchez, and Tripti Sinha
BGC Apologies: Khaled Koubaa
ICANN Organization Attendees: Susanna Bennett (SVP, Chief Operations Officer), Michelle Bright (Board Operations Content Coordination Director), Franco Carrasco (Board Operations Specialist), Samantha Eisner (Deputy General Counsel), John Jeffrey (General Counsel and Secretary), Elizabeth Le (Associate General Counsel), Cyrus Namazi (SVP, Global Domains Division), Wendy Profit (Senior Manager, Board Operations), and Amy Stathos (Deputy General Counsel)
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
Nominating Committee (NomCom) Chair-and Chair-Elect - The BGC discussed the Committee's recommendations for the NomCom 2020 Chair and Chair-Elect. The BGC approved the recommendations to the Board for 2020 NomCom Chair and Chair-Elect.
- Actions: ICANN org to prepare relevant materials for Board consideration.
- Committee Slating - The BGC discussed the Board Committees and Working Group slates based upon, among other things, the preferences indicated by the Board members.
Introduction to Board Communications Training Proposal – The Committee noted that a proposal regarding Board communications training has been developed by Lito Ibarra and León Sanchez. Some Board members have provided their comments on the proposal. The BGC Chair will circulate the proposal by email for discussion online in advance of the September Board Workshop.
- Actions: BGC members to review and provide comments to proposed Board Communications Training before the September Board Workshop.
- Board Member Interaction on Community Working Groups and Review Teams – The BGC discussed that the roles of Board members on community working groups and review teams should be as Board liaisons to the groups rather than community members. The BGC agreed that Avri Doria's role on Workstream 2 should be converted from community member to Board liaison to the group.
- Board Caucuses and Board Working Groups Framework - The BGC briefly remarked that the process by which caucuses, working groups, and Board liaisons to community groups are created and managed should be reevaluated to ensure uniformity and that they sufficiently meet the needs of the Board.
Published on 21 November 2019