BGC Attendees: Cherine Chalaby, Bertrand de La Chapelle, Ram Mohan, Mike Silber, and Bruce Tonkin – Chair.
Other Board Member Attendees: Steve Crocker
Staff Attendees: John Jeffrey – General Counsel and Secretary, Megan Bishop, Michelle Bright, Elizabeth Le, Amy Stathos, and Christine Willett
Apologies: Chris Disspain and Ray Plzak
The following is a summary of discussion, actions taken and actions identified:
- Approval of Minutes: The BGC approved the minutes of the last meeting.
- Revised Recommendation for Reconsideration Request 13-4: The BGC reviewed and discussed the revised proposed recommendation for Reconsideration Request 13-4, which contains additional information consistent with the BGC's prior discussion on this issue. The BGC approved the recommendation for the New gTLD Program Committee. Mike Silber abstained from consideration and voting on this matter. the BGC abstained. Two members were unavailable to vote.
- Actions: Staff to submit the recommendation to the NGPC for consideration.
- Reconsideration Request 13-5: The BGC received a briefing from Staff regarding Reconsideration Request 13-5 (the "Request"). The Request seeks reconsideration of staff action (based on the String Similarity Review Panel determination) placing the applications for .hotels and .hoteis into a string similarity contention set or alternatively, the requestor asks for a more detailed analysis and reasoning regarding the decision to place .hotels into a contention set. The BGC discussed timing of the request and asked that the recommendation more clearly specify what version of the Bylaws is applicable to the Request. The BGC determined that the requester failed to state the proper grounds for reconsideration because if failed to identify an established policy or process with which staff acted in contravention. The BGC approved a recommendation to the New gTLD Program Committee denying the Request, which is to be posted on the ICANN's website. Ram Mohan and Mike Silber abstained from consideration of this matter and two members were not available for voting.
- Actions: Staff to facilitate revisions being made to the Recommendation and submit the revised Recommendation to the NGPC for consideration.
- Any Other Business: The BGC briefly discussed the nature of the available review mechanisms and whether any revisions need to be made; the BGC agreed to discuss at a later date.
Published on 5 November 2013