Organizational Effectiveness Committee of the Board
Rafael Lito Ibarra
León Felipe Sanchez Ambia
- The Organizational Effectiveness Committee ("OEC" or "Committee") of the ICANN Board is responsible for the following areas related to Organizational and Specific Reviews:
- The review and oversight of all organizational reviews mandated by Article 4, Section 4.4 of ICANN's Bylaws or any replacement or revisions to that Section of the Bylaws (Organizational Reviews), which are aimed at enhancing ICANN's overall effectiveness, and achieving specific organizational objectives, structural relevance and effectiveness.
- The review and oversight of all Specific Reviews mandated by Section 4.6 of ICANN Bylaws or any replacement or revisions to that section of the Bylaws, which are aimed at reviewing ICANN's execution of commitments relating to: Accountability and Transparency; Security, Stability and Resiliency; Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice; and Registration Directory Service.
- The review and oversight of policies, processes, and procedures relating to the Organizational and Specific Reviews.
- The development and maintenance of a Review Framework for Organizational and Specific Reviews, which is subject to Board approval that encapsulates the policies, processed and procedures applicable to the conduct of the Organizational and Specific Reviews.
- The OEC shall use the Organizational and Specific Reviews to help assess whether ICANN has made progress in achieving key organizational objectives and commitments and whether its organizational structure is effective and relevant to its mission. The OEC shall issue recommendations towards enhancing ICANN's overall organizational effectiveness.
- The OEC is also responsible for the review and oversight of the Periodic or Special IANA Naming Function Reviews (IFRs) mandated by Article 18 of ICANN Bylaws or any replacement or revisions to that article of the Bylaws, which are aimed at reviewing PTI's performance under the IANA Naming Function Contract and the IANA Naming Function Statement of Work.
The Structural Improvements Committee (SIC) of the ICANN Board was established by the Board at its 7 November 2008 meeting. The SIC proposed revisions to its former version of the charter, including a name change to Organizational Effectiveness Committee (OEC) in 2015. The name change was intended to provide the ICANN community with more clarity about the purpose and focus of organizational reviews and how the reviews are conducted. In accordance with its responsibility, the Board Governance Committee (BGC) reviewed and agreed with the SIC's proposed revisions to the Committee's name and its Charter. The Board approved the charter and name change at its 28 July 2015 meeting. At the Board's 16 March 2017, the Board approved a revised charter for the OEC that expanded its responsibilities to also include the oversight of Specific Reviews. At the Board's 14 March 2019 meeting, the Board approved an updated charter that expanded its responsibilities to additionally include the review and oversight of the Periodic or Special IANA Naming Function Reviews (IFRs) mandated by Article 18 of ICANN Bylaws or any replacement or revisions to that article of the Bylaws.
The Committee is responsible for review and oversight of policies relating to ICANN's ongoing organizational review process as mandated by Article IV, Section 4 of ICANN's Bylaws.
The OEC's Charter was approved by the Board on 16 March 2017. The Committee's original charter was adopted and approved by the Board on 6 March 2009. The charter was later revised by the Board on 28 July 2015. The charter was subsequently revised by the Board on 2 November 2017. The charter was once again revised by the Board on 14 March 2019.