Minutes | Organizational Effectiveness Committee (OEC) Meeting
OEC Attendees: Rinalia Abdul Rahim – Chair, Lito Ibarra, Markus Kummer and George Sadowsky
Other Board Member Attendee: Steve Crocker
Observer: Matthew Shears
Executive and Staff Attendees: Michelle Bright, Samantha Eisner, Negar Farzinnia, Larisa Gurnick, Lars Hoffmann, Melissa King, Vinciane Koenigsfeld, Göran Marby, Wendy Profit, Laena Rahim, Lisa Saulino, Theresa Swinehart
The following is a summary of discussions, decisions, and actions identified:
Agenda – The Chair established the agenda for the meeting and gave an overview of items to be discussed.
Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC) Review Update: Selection of Independent Examiner – ICANN organization provided a brief update on the status of the SSAC Review. The RFP for an independent examiner was launched in July 2017. The Review is scheduled to take place from October 2017 through June 2018.
ICANN organization completed its evaluation in September 2017 and requested the OEC to confirm the selection of finalist to serve as the independent examiner for the SSAC Review. ICANN organization presented an overview of the applications received, as well as the key selection criteria reflected on the evaluation scorecard. The selection of an independent examiner followed ICANN's procurement process, which includes independent evaluation of submissions, presentations by the highest scoring proposals, follow-up interviews, and reference checks, as well as receiving inputs from internal subject matter experts (in line with the practice implemented for the identification of the RSSAC reviewer).
The discussion highlighted some concerns and observations from the OEC and invited attendees, including:
- Given that ICANN organization received proposals from only two bidders, ICANN needs to ascertain why it is not receiving proposals from a wider range of bidders.
- In relation to the scoring methodology, ICANN organization is requested to examine the possibility of revising its internal processes for creating and administering evaluations to separate "gating" factors from "degree" items.
- Because of the technical nature of the entity that will be reviewed, ICANN organization to consider the possibility of obtaining input and opinion from a third party on the security-related qualifications of the proposed review teams.
Pursuant to an in-depth discussion on this topic, and upon reviewing the evaluation process, the OEC agreed to have a further discussion on the process and selection criteria for the independent examiner at its next meeting.
- ICANN organization to carry out an analysis to learn why only a small number of bidders were interested in this work and what can be done to remedy this situation in the future.
- ICANN organization to examine its contractual requirements for bidders.
- In respect of the scoring methodology, ICANN organization to assess and review the possibility of revising the internal processes for creating and administering evaluations to separate the "gating" factors from the "degree" items.
- The OEC and ICANN organization to explore the possibility of obtaining input and opinion from a credible third party on the proposals received from the bidders to assess their security-related expertise. Additionally, ICANN organization will obtain some clarity and ensure that this proposal is in line with internal processes.
- Any Other Business
The Chair called the meeting to a close.
Published on 27 October 2017