Purpose: As part of the project plan for the name collision analysis project (NCAP), the SSAC would like to seek public input on the definition of name collision and scope of inquiry for the name collision analysis project.
Current Status: Draft Definition of Name Collision and Scope of Inquiry for the Name Collision Analysis Project for public comment
Next Steps: The NCAP discussion group will finalize the definition of name collision and scope of inquiry for the name collision analysis project after considering the public input.
Section I: Description and Explanation
The Proposed Definition of Name Collisions and Scope of Inquiry for the Name Collision Analysis Project (NCAP) [PDF, 81 KB] has been drafted by the NCAP Discussion Group and reviewed by the ICANN Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC).
The document defines name collisions in general and in the context of top-level domains in particular. The scope of inquiry divides the problem space into three areas: in scope and subject of data studies by NCAP, in scope but not intended to be the subject of data studies by NCAP, and out of scope.
The SSAC is seeking public input on both the definition and the scope of inquiry.
Section II: Background
On 2 November 2017, the ICANN Board passed resolutions (2017.11.02.29 – 2017.11.02.31) requesting the ICANN Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC) to conduct studies to present data, analysis and points of view, and provide advice to the Board on:
- A proper definition for name collision
- Suggested criteria for determining whether an undelegated string should be considered a string that manifests name collisions, i.e., is a "collision string"
- Suggested criteria for determining whether a "collision string" should not be delegated
- Suggested criteria for determining how to remove an undelegated string from the list of "collision strings" (aka mitigations)
In the resolution, the Board also requested the SSAC to do the work in a timely and organized fashion, with adequate visibility on costs and schedule, which shall be subject to review and approval by the Board.
Following the Board resolution, the SSAC initiated the project planning. The SSAC delivered, in September 2018, a proposed Name Collision Analysis Project (NCAP) proposal, which detailed three studies anticipated to meet the call of the Board's 2017 resolution.
In March 2019, the ICANN Board authorized study one, as revised by the ICANN Org, to proceed. This study will 1) examine all prior work on the issue of name collisions and produce a summary report that brings forward important knowledge from prior work into this study, and which can act as a primer for those new to the subject; 2) create a list of results of the data used in past studies, identify gaps, if any, and list additional data that would be required to successfully conduct the two additional identified studies; and 3) provide information that will facilitate a decision on whether the NCAP should proceed with studies 2 and 3 based on the results of the survey of prior work and the availability of data.
Following the Board approval, NCAP discussion group was formed. It finalized the statement of work for Study 1 and delivered to the ICANN Office of CTO for contracting.
The NCAP discussion group also developed a second deliverable, a proposed definition of name collisions and scope of inquiry for NCAP for public comment.
Section III: Relevant Resources
- Proposed Definition of Name Collison and Scope of Inquiry for the Name Collision Analysis Project: https://community.icann.org/display/NCAP/NCAP+Working+Documents?preview=/79437474/111387704/Definition%20of%20Name%20Collision%20and%20Scope%20of%20Work%20for%20the%20NCAP.pdf
- NCAP Community wiki: https://community.icann.org/display/NCAP
Section IV: Additional Information
Past Research and Studies on Name Collision:
- SAC045: Invalid Top Level Domain Queries at the Root Level of the Domain Name System (https://www.icann.org/en/committees/security/sac045.pdf [PDF, 507 KB])
- SAC057: SSAC Advisory on Internal Name Certificates (https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sac-057-en.pdf [PDF, 1.14 MB])
- Name Collision in the DNS (https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/name-collision-02aug13-en.pdf [PDF, 3.34 MB])
- New gTLD Collision Risk Mitigation (https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/new-gtld-collision-mitigation-05aug13-en.pdf [PDF, 165 KB])
- Name Collision Occurrence Management Framework (https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/name-collision-framework-30jul14-en.pdf [PDF, 634 KB])
- Mitigating the Risk of DNS Namespace Collisions (https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/name-collision-mitigation-final-28oct15-en.pdf [PDF, 11 MB])