ICANN68: 2020 Nominating Committee (NomCom) Update
The 2020 Nominating Committee (NomCom) is over halfway through its recruiting timeline for open ICANN leadership positions. Ahead of ICANN68, we want to provide you with an update on how the search is progressing.
The COVID-19 pandemic has made it difficult to meet our initial timeline, but we continue to work diligently. We are working closely with the ICANN Board and ICANN org leadership to access any resources we need to complete our work in a timely manner.
The 2020 NomCom is charged with filling seven open leadership positions:
- Two members of the ICANN Board of Directors.
- One member of the Public Technical Identifiers (PTI) Board of Directors.
- Two regional representatives to the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) – one from the European region and one from the North American region.
- One member of the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Council.
- One member of the Country Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) Council.
We are in the process of initial interviews and are encouraged by the diversity and credentials of the applicants, as these are key priorities for our search. Here are some data points about the applicants:
- Total number of applicants: 96
- Gender: Male = 65, Female = 18, Did not disclose = 13
Regional breakdown of applicants:
- Africa: 22
- Asia Pacific: 28
- Europe: 7
- Latin America and the Caribbean: 22
- North America: 17
The NomCom hoped to meet in person at ICANN68 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, but now that ICANN68 is a Virtual Policy Forum, we will collaborate remotely on our important work. I know most of our community is under the same constraints, so you understand our situation. Even though we cannot have an informal chat in the hallway or over coffee, please feel free to reach out to anyone on the NomCom if you have feedback or questions. On behalf of the 2020 NomCom, have a productive and successful ICANN68.