Update on Root Zone Label Generation Rule Generation Panel Formation
As we approach ICANN 50, ICANN is pleased to share the steady momentum of the development on the formation of Generation Panels for developing the script proposals. These script based panels – made up of Internet community volunteers – will propose the rules that define code points, variants and additional label level constraints for the Root Zone. The latest updates on Label Generation Rule (LGR) Generation Panels will be a key topic at the ICANN meeting in London, which takes place 22-26 June 2014.
Progress to date includes:
- The Arabic Script Generation Panel is fully formed and operational. The Panel had its second face to face meeting in June 2014, which took place in Istanbul, Turkey. Arabic script code point variants were discussed.
- Members of the community have submitted a formal proposal to form the Chinese Generation Panel, which is currently under review.
- There has been outreach activity in the Korean and Japanese script communities to form corresponding Generation Panels.
- Community members involved with the Chinese-Japanese-Korean (CJK) panels have initiated coordination efforts for the Han script.
- Members of the community are actively organizing the Neo-Brahmi Generation Panel and recruiting members. Interested parties should view the Call for Participation [PDF, 72 KB].
- There is initial interest in forming other Generation Panels.
To learn more about these efforts, we invite you to join us in person or remotely at ICANN 50 Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) sessions:
IDN Variant TLDs Program session
Wednesday, 25 June 2014 - 08:30-10:00 BST
The session will focus on updates on the IDN Variant TLD Program, and more specifically on the Root Zone LGR Project, including developments around the MSR-1, program outreach efforts, and script community updates on the LGR work.
IDN Root Zone LGR Generation Panels Workshop
Wednesday, 25 June 2014 - 13:00-15:00 BST
The purpose of this workshop is to foster interactions among community members, gather feedback on experiences to establish Generation Panels, and engage with Integration Panel members. Several script community representatives will present, with opportunities for questions and answers.
Speak up for your language!
ICANN continues to seek panel volunteers for following scripts: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Cyrillic, Devanagari, Georgian, Greek, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Sinhala, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, and other scripts. Ideal candidates will have a diverse range of interests, expertise in a variety of technical and language disciplines, and a commitment to expanding a multilingual Internet. Volunteers interested in getting involved should email ICANN at email@example.com.
For more information on forming or participating in LGR Panels, please read Generation Panel formation quick guide kit [PDF, 335 KB].