Call for Expressions of Interest for 2015 | Nominating Committee Chair and Chair-Elect
ICANN EXTENDS TIME TO SUBMIT EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST THROUGH 15 JULY 2014
ICANN is seeking expressions of interest for leadership roles in the 2015 Nominating Committee (NomCom) - that of the 2015 NomCom Chair and Chair-Elect.
In September 2013 the ICANN Board appointed "Cheryl Langdon-Orr as the 2014 Nominating Committee Chair and Stéphane Van Gelder as the 2014 Nominating Committee Chair-Elect." (See http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/resolutions-28sep13-en.htm#2.a)
In accordance with the Bylaws, "[i]t is anticipated that upon the conclusion of the term of the Chair-Elect, the Chair-Elect will be appointed by the Board to the position of Chair." See Article VII, section 3.4. Accordingly, while it is anticipated that the 2014 NomCom Chair Elect will succeed to the role of 2015 NomCom Chair, in support of continuous improvement in its accountability and transparency the NomCom will evaluate the performance of the current NomCom leadership, and the results of that evaluation will be available to the Board Governance Committee before it makes a recommendation to the full Board on 2015 NomCom leadership. Specifically, the NomCom will be undertaking 360 degree reviews of its Chair and its Chair-Elect, which typically consists of input from an immediate circle of colleagues - top down, bottom up and peer-to-peer, and in this case will consist of interviewing other NomCom leadership, NomCom members, as well as designated NomCom staff. These 360 degree reviews will be conducted by an independent third party provider. The BGC will utilize the outcomes of these reviews in their processes leading up to the Board's formal appointment of the 2015 NomCom Chair and Chair-Elect.
The NomCom Chair is responsible for organizing the NomCom in its activities to select certain ICANN Board members and individuals who will serve in key leadership positions within ICANN's supporting organizations (SOs) and advisory committees (ACs) in accordance with ICANN's Bylaws. The Chair is a non-voting member of the NomCom selected by ICANN's Board to serve until the conclusion of the next ICANN Annual Meeting.
The Chair-Elect is a position created within the Bylaws as an outcome of the independent review of the NomCom. The Chair-Elect position is not a replacement of the Advisor to the NomCom Chair, and is not intended to fill an advisory role. Rather, the Chair-Elect will receive the benefit of training while serving alongside the Chair, gaining skills and knowledge to be applied for the Chair-Elect's anticipated succession into the role of the Chair.
Candidates for Chair-Elect should possess the same skills as candidates for the Chair.
This position blends time management and negotiation skills with the practical aspects of conducting a world-wide search for individuals to fill various ICANN leadership positions. The NomCom Chair will be called on to schedule, organize and lead numerous in-person and telephonic meetings with a large committee of community members. The NomCom Chair is also responsible for managing the candidate identification and statement of interest process, with other committee members, and for managing the due diligence to be performed on nominated candidates, in cooperation with ICANN's General Counsel and any retained outside firm(s). Throughout all NomCom activities, the Chair is responsible for ensuring that all NomCom operating rules and procedures are followed, and that all required documentation and reports are prepared in a timely fashion and provided to the proper parties as necessary.
Skills and Experience
To properly serve as the NomCom Chair, the selected individual must have:
- adequate time available to undertake the role;
- excellent communication and negotiation skills to manage a committee of 20-21 members;
- a clear understanding of the duties and responsibilities of each position for which the NomCom is selecting candidates;
- experience on or with a Board of Directors of organizations with similar scale, scope and diversity as ICANN;
- strong organization and leadership skills;
- ability to remain unbiased;
- no conflicts of interest, and
- a thorough understanding of, and satisfy, all criteria set forth in ICANN Bylaws relating to the NomCom (see http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#VII).
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans and schedules NomCom meetings as required, including ensuring posting schedules for public review. Please see attached for a Listing of the NomCom activities.
- Appoints non-voting Associate Chair if so desired.
- Reports to ICANN Board and the community on status of the NomCom.
- Prepares and publishes the NomCom report.
- Ensures that NomCom operating rules and procedures are followed.
- Manages NomCom Selection Process, including:
- Approves outreach/advertising methods for attracting candidates.
- Conducts outreach with ICANN Constituencies, ACs and SOs (with Chairs of those groups), ICANN Board, and others.
- With other committee members, reviews and evaluates candidate Statements of Interest (SOIs) and references submitted during NomCom process
- Coordinates due diligence on nominated candidates in cooperation with ICANN's General Counsel and any outside firm(s) retained to perform due diligence activities.
- Approves posting of NomCom announcements and schedules on ICANN website.
- Ensures NomCom records are properly established, maintained and archived.
No person who is an employee of or is a paid consultant to ICANN (including the Ombudsman) shall simultaneously serve as a member of the NomCom, including the post of Chair or Chair-Elect.
All reasonable travel expenses and administrative costs incurred as a result of performing the duties as NomCom Chair or Chair-Elect in accordance with ICANN's policies will be reimbursed by ICANN upon the Chair or Chair-Elect's submission to ICANN of valid receipts and invoices.
Expressions of Interest
Expressions of Interest, which will be maintained as confidential, should be sent to NomComChair2015@icann.org no later than 10 June 2014.
For more information about the NomCom see http://nomcom.icann.org/