Contenido disponible solo en los siguientes idiomas

  • English

Minutes | Meeting of the Technical Committee of the Board (BTC) | 15 February 2024

Board Member and Liaison Attendees: Christian Kaufmann (Chair), Harald Alvestrand, Alan Barrett, Chris Buckridge, Edmon Chung, James Galvin, Wes Hardaker, and Patricio Poblete

Board Members with Apologies: Nicolas Caballero

ICANN Organization Attendees: Andre Abed (VP, Relationship & Delivery Management and Interim Head of Engineering and IT), Adiel Akplogan (VP, Technical Engagement), Franco Carrasco (Board Operations Manager), John Crain (SVP & Chief Technology Officer), Matt Larson (VP, Research), Danielle Rutherford (Policy and Technology Development Support Manager), and Sarah Zagha (Counsel)

Invited Guests: Matt Thomas and Suzanne Woolf (Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC) Name Collision Analysis Project (NCAP) Working Party (WP) co-chairs) - only present for agenda item no. 1

The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken, and actions identified:

  1. Update Session with the Name Collision Analysis Project (NCAP) Discussion Group (DG) Admin Co-Chairs – The Committee received an update on the NCAP work from Matt Thomas, the NCAP DG Admin co-chair. It was noted that the draft NCAP Study 2 Report has been published and is currently out for public comment. It was also noted that an NCAP Study 2 Update session is scheduled for ICANN79 Prep Week, and that the NCAP DG has upcoming meetings scheduled for ICANN79. It is also expected that the ICANN Board and the SSAC will focus on NCAP as the topic of discussion during an upcoming meeting at ICANN79.
  2. Approval of Pending Meeting's Reports – The Committee was informed the Preliminary Report for the 11 January 2024 meeting had been circulated and approval of this Preliminary Report was pending. The Committee requested that the Preliminary Report for the 11 January 2024 meeting capture the Committee's discussions about the data protection-related briefing (drafted for internal use by ICANN org) on a technique proposed by the NCAP Study 2 (for name collision detection).
    • Action Item: ICANN org Legal to capture the Committee's discussion regarding the data protection-related briefing on a technique proposed by the NCAP Study 2 (for name collision detection) within the 11 January 2024 Preliminary Report, and re-circulate the revised Preliminary Report to the Committee for approval.
  3. Action Item Review – The Chair established the agenda for the meeting. Two action items were discussed and reviewed:

    • Action Item #1: The Chair to further discuss the Committee's role within the Technical Coordination space with the Chair of the ICANN Board is an action item that is closed for now. The Chair has had preliminary discussions about this action item with the Chair of the ICANN Board. This action item will be placed on hold and reopened once a Board meeting that addresses this topic has been scheduled.
    • Action Item #2: The Committee to further discuss the Phase 1 and Phase 2 recommendations from the IDN EPDP work (when available) during upcoming Committee meetings is an open action item (on hold until the IDN EPDP recommendations are finalized).
  4. Review and Approval of the RZERC Charter – ICANN org presented on the Root Zone Evolution Review Committee's (RZERC) proposed amendments to its Charter, which took place over the course of 2022. Proposed amendments included adding language regarding who is authorized to call for review of the RZERC Charter, as well language specifying that meetings require a quorum (as defined in the RZERC operational procedures). The Committee voted unanimously to recommend that the ICANN Board approve the proposed amendments to the RZERC Charter.
  5. Update on Legal Pre-Assessment of the "Honey Pot" Recommendation in NCAP Study 2 Report – OCTO reported that ICANN org Legal's updated data protection-related briefing on a technique proposed by the NCAP Study 2 (for name collisions detection) is almost complete, and that it will be circulated to the Committee, SSAC, and the NCAP Discussion Group sometime during the week of 19 February 2024.
  6. Updates from Technical Liaisons – The Committee received an update from the following Board Technical Liaisons:

    • SSAC (James Galvin): The Committee was provided with an update on two SSAC work parties – the Registrar NS Management work party and DS Automation work party. It was noted that these work parties are close to completing their work. The Committee was also informed that an election will be held in 2024 for the SSAC Liaison to the ICANN Board role.
    • RSSAC (Wes Hardaker): It was noted that the work of the Root Server System Governance Working Group and the RSS Security Incident Working Group is progressing. The Committee was encouraged to attend the joint session between the ICANN Board and the RSSAC during ICANN79.
    • IETF (Harald Alvestrand): No significant updates to report.
  7. Any Other Business – The Committee expanded on the NCAP Admin co-Chair's point about an upcoming meeting between the ICANN Board and the SSAC. The Committee specified that a joint session between the ICANN Board and the SSAC is scheduled for 06 March 2024 during ICANN79, and that NCAP is the topic of discussion for that session. The Committee was encouraged to review the materials for, and to attend, that joint session.

The Chair called the meeting to a close.

Published on 17 April 2024