Contenido disponible solo en los siguientes idiomas

  • English

Public Participation Committee (PPC) Minutes 19 June 2010

PPC Attendees: Jean-Jacques Subrenat – Chair; Thomas Narten, Gonzalo Navarro, Vanda Scartezini, and Katim Touray

Other Board Attendee: Kuo-Wei Wu

Staff Attendees: Doug Brent – Chief Operating Officer; Rob Hoggarth, Janice Douma Lange, Christina Rodriguez, Diane Schroeder, and Amy Stathos

The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:

  1. Reviewed the minutes from the prior PPC meeting, and all voting members in attendance approved the minutes.

  2. Received an update on remote participation at the Brussels meetings, including the advance staff and community trainings, as well as improvements made in light of the remote participation experiences in Brussels. This also includes the formation of a late-session addition approval process to provide more certainty for the scheduled meeting arrangements and allow for all attendees – remote and on-site – to plan meeting attendance. Staff noted that given unexpected issues that arose in the application of the process, staff recommends a further consideration of the process and of the implementation.

    • Action:
      • At next meeting of PPC, staff to give full report on the 15 day advance deadline on session posting and requests for late additions, including topics raised and criteria imposed. After PPC consideration of the report, it should be posted publicly.
  3. Received an update from staff on interpretation services, including the work of staff to identify a common team of interpretation providers to use at every ICANN International Meeting, and the work being done to identify the languages that ICANN will provide interpretation services for at the international meetings, determined by meeting location and based upon research and resource availability. The PPC discussed the challenges inherent in attempting to perform remote interpretation of a live meeting. The PPC also briefly discussed the potential for involvement of community members in translation of materials.

    • Action:
      • Staff to perform test of remote simultaneous interpretation including the use of video.
      • Staff to review the usage of requested translation services at the ICANN international meetings and the needs behind those requests, to allow for the creation of an operational process on this, including cost-based information.
      • PPC to provide staff guidance on useful metrics for evaluation of usage of translation services.
  4. Received an update on the status of the ongoing consultation for the Meetings for the Next Decade, noting that community members participating in the survey have already demonstrated that they hold definitive opinions on the issues raised within the survey, including numbers of meetings per year, meeting locations, and travel support.

    • Action:
      • Staff to determine if they can provide information about the regions from which survey responses are received.
      • Staff to work to increase the number of respondents to the survey.
  5. Received an update from staff on the status of hiring a new manager of public participation and engagement.

  6. Received an update from staff on a proposed process for selection of the North American meeting site for March 2011.

    • Action:
      • Staff to post the meeting selection process for notice to the community with a note regarding the change in approach, and invite community input on the same.