en

Board Activities and Meetings

View records of actions and decisions made by the ICANN Board from recent activities and meetings.

Minutes | Meeting of the Technical Committee of the Board (BTC) | 31 August 2022

Board Member and Liaison Attendees: Alan Barrett, Edmon Chung, James Galvin, Akinori Maemura, Kaveh Ranjbar (Chair), Patricio Poblete, and Katrina Sataki

Committee Member Apologies: Harald Alvestrand

Other Board Members and Liaisons Present: Avri Doria and Manal Ismail

ICANN Organization Attendees: Adiel Akplogan (Vice President for Technical Engagement), Jennifer Bryce (Project Manager), Franco Carrasco (Board Operations Specialist), Steve Conte (Senior Director, IROS Operations), John Crain (SVP & Chief Technology Officer), Alain Durand (Principal Technologist), Kinga Kowalcyzk (Administrative Assistant), Matt Larson (VP, Research),  Wendy Profit (Board Operations Senior Manager), Erika Randall (Associate General Counsel), Samaneh Tajalizadehkhoob (Principal Security, Stability, and Resiliency Specialist), and Sarah Zagha (Counsel)


The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken, and actions identified:

  1. BTC Update Session with the Name Collision Analysis Project (NCAP) DG Admin Co-Chairs: Progress on Study 2 – The Committee received an update on the NCAP work from James Galvin as the co-chair of the NCAP Working Party. He noted that Study 2 is progressing well.

    The Group continues to work on responding to the Board's questions outlined in Board Resolution 2017.11.02.30, and how to proceed on providing advice for risk assessments for name collisions going forward. The Group is making efforts on documenting its workflow for proposing how to progress with managing name collision risk assessments and providing guidance. The Group plans on giving an update on the workflow during ICANN75. Its expectation is that the document will be released for public comment before the fourth quarter of 2022, after final approval by the Group.

  2. Approval of Pending Committee Meeting's Report – The Committee Meeting minutes for the 21 July 2022 Committee Meeting were circulated via email.

    • Action Item:

      • Committee members to submit online votes on the 21 July 2022 Committee Meeting minutes.

  3. Action Items Review – The Chair established the agenda for the meeting. An update to the four previous action items were given as noted below:

    • The action item for ICANN org to confirm whether the updated IDN Guidelines would automatically apply to the Fast Track Process, and to note this point in the draft Board resolutions, has been completed. The Chair notified the Committee that the IDN Guidelines document needs a Committee member to present the document to the Board. Edmon Chung agreed to be the Board shepard of the IDN Guidelines document. 

    • The action item regarding the numbering of the IDN Guidelines has been completed. The Guidelines that are not indicated for adoption will be noted as "deferred."

    • The action item to update the Board regarding SAC113 to note the communication with the IAB and the IETF has been completed. The document with the Committee's recommendation has been sent to the Board for consideration at an upcoming meeting.

    • The action item of OCTO to organize a presentation to the Committee on OCTO-034 has been completed, with the presentation to be conducted during this meeting.

  4. Discussion on Blockchain Based Name Service – The Committee was given a presentation on the OCTO-034 document by ICANN org. The purpose of the document is to discuss some of the technical challenges users may face when deploying some alternative naming systems alongside the DNS. OCTO commenced its presentation by offering some general background on what alternative naming systems are, and by providing examples of them (e.g. Handshake, which is derivative of Bitcoin; ENS which is based on Ethereum; Unstoppable Domains, which is based on a derivative of Ethereum). The briefing discussed the challenges posed by alternative naming systems (e.g. name collisions, fragmentation of the DNS ecosystem, customer confusion).

    After the presentation, the Committee was informed that there will be a broad-based panel session during ICANN75 on internet fragmentation on 21 September 2022. The Committee was also informed about relevant work in the SSAC. The SSAC has a work party on the evolution of DNS resolution, which expects to add to the discussion about the customer confusion that results when these alternate namespaces exist and, in particular, when these other alternate namespaces use names that syntactically look like domain names.

  5. Remembrance of Paul Muchene – The Chair requested one minute of silence in remembrance of Paul Muchene, a Technical Engagement Specialist with ICANN org's OCTO team, who recently passed away.

  6. KINDNS: An ICANN Initiative To Promote Secured DNS Practices – ICANN org gave the Committee a presentation on KINDNS, or Knowledge Sharing and Instantiating Norms for DNS and Naming Security.  KINDNS is a program to develop a framework that focuses on the most important operational best practices or concrete instances of DNS security best practices. It promotes Domain Name System (DNS) operational security best practices and encourages DNS operators to voluntarily commit to their implementation. The Committee was informed that a new website dedicated to KINDNS will be launching within the coming days.

  7.  Priority Project Updates – The Committee received an update on the following projects:

    • Domain Name System Security Facilitation Initiative Technical Study Group (DSFI-TSG) Report - Implementation Update: ICANN org members reported that the DSFI-TSG Report is currently at the Feasibility Analysis phase. Merike Käo has been engaged in a consulting capacity to lead this phase and meets regularly with relevant ICANN org subject matter experts to determine the feasibility of implementing the recommendations.

    • Root Zone Management Study: It was reported that the Root Zone Management study was finalized. The final report has been published on icann.org.  This Priority Project can now be closed.

    • Root Server System Governance Working Group (RSS-GWG): It was reported that since ICANN74, the GWG identified and three topics for discussion during ICANN75: (1) capture of the Root Server System; (2) what RSOs would yield and gain by joining this governance structure; (3) the requirement, if any, to separate or have some portability of RSS governance away from ICANN. Once the GWG reaches some conclusions regarding these issues, most likely after ICANN75, it will develop its proposal further.

  8. Updates from Technical Liaisons – The Committee received an update from the following Board Technical Liaisons: 

    • SSAC (James Galvin):  The Committee was notified that the SSAC is having an annual in-person workshop during late October 2022. One important topic that will be discussed during this workshop will be the role and purpose of the SSAC within the ICANN community. The Committee was also notified that it has a DS automation work party, which is looking at how to automate the management of the DNSSEC keys from the point of view of a registrant. 

    • RSSAC (Kaveh Ranjbar): It was noted RSSAC 001 version 2 and RSSAC 002 version 5 is being worked on. The Statement of Work for a third work party, which concerns RSO security incident reporting, is currently being discussed. If the Statement of Work is approved, the work will start during ICANN75.

    • Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) (Harald Alvestrand): No report given.

  9. Any Other Business – ICANN org support staff members and Committee members extended their gratitude to the Chair and Akinori Maemura for their service to the Committee.

The Chair called the meeting to a close.

Published on 5 October 2022