Board Activities and Meetings
PPC Attendees: Sébastien Bachollet – Chair, Chris Disspain, Thomas Narten, Gonzalo Navarro, Mike Silber and Kuo-Wei Wu
Other Board Attendees: Akram Atallah, Bertrand de La Chapelle and George Sadowsky
Staff Attendees: Michelle Bright, Samantha Eisner, Tanzanica King, David Olive, Christina Rodriguez, Marc Salvatierra, Alina Syunkova, Nick Tomasso, and Filiz Yilmaz
The following is a summary of discussion, action taken and actions identified:
- Planning for Future ICANN Meetings: The PPC discussed the schedule development process for ICANN public meetings, including the application of this process to the Toronto Meeting. The PPC received an update on planning for the Latin American meeting in November 2013, as well as proposals for other meetings in 2014. On the hub cities proposal, staff reported on the small number of responses to the request for proposal that was issued, and then engaged in a discussion regarding the operation of the hub city concept. The PPC requested updates to the proposal document that is being prepared for community input, to identify ways to encourage hosting, as well as explanation of the capacity issues. The PPC asked staff to develop a new name for the program before publication for public comment. The PPC also raised the issue of continuing to assess risks associated with a meeting location after selected, to assure continuity of ICANN meetings.
- After revising to meet PPC comments, the staff to post hub meeting document for public comment.
- Hub meeting topic to be on agenda for PPC consultation with the community in Toronto.
- Minutes of Prior Meeting: The PPC approved the minutes of its prior meeting in August 2012.
- Review of Action Items: The PPC reviewed the action items identified at prior meetings. The PPC identified items that still required follow up and were not expected to be discussed during this meeting:
- PPC agreed to close item regarding members providing comment on public comment proposal from staff.
- Overview of Web Content Accessibility at ICANN: The PPC discussed issues relating to supporting a variety of standards for content, and received a report on the support available on the different sites supported by ICANN.
- Public Session of PPC in Toronto: The PPC discussed a proposed agenda for the public consultation in Toronto, focusing on the hub city concept. The PPC also discussed ideas of trying a new structure of the meeting to encourage participation, and agreed to move that experimentation to the ICANN meeting in Beijing.
- Public Forum Session at the ICANN Meetings: The PPC discussed the purpose of the public forum session at ICANN meetings, noting that the public forum is separate from the public comment periods. The PPC received an update on the process for selection of topics for the public forum.
- Staff to prepare some introductory remarks for the Chair of Board to open the next public forum, highlighting the difference between the public forum and the public comment processes.
- Language Services Update: Staff provided an update to the PPC on the status of the Language Services Policy and Procedure document that was posted for public comment. Staff provided a detailed review of the public comments received.
- Staff to provide detailed, written summary of public comments, noting if there are specific actions arising out of those comments that will be addressed in further iteration of the policy and procedure document.
- The PPC to consider the policy and recommend to the Board for adoption.
- Pilot SO/AC Training and Orientation Program Update: Staff provided an update on the high-level training program included in the FY13 budget. There has been a request from the community working group to postpone the implementation of the training, previously to be scheduled in Toronto, and staff agreed with that request.