Board Activities and Meetings
IC attendees: Kuo-Wei Wu – Chair; Bertrand de La Chapelle, Bill Graham, Thomas Narten, and Suzanne Woolf
Staff Members Present: Elise Gerich – Vice President, IANA; Nigel Hickson – Vice President, Europe; Jeff Moss – Chief Security Officer; Kim Davies, Samantha Eisner, Alina Syunkova, and Leo Vegoda
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
- Minutes. The IC reviewed and approved the minutes of the previous IC meeting in May 2012.
- 2012 IANA Survey. The IC received a report on the 2012 IANA Survey targeted to groups of IANA customers, including RIRs, TLD operators, IETF, root operators and others. The survey rated the accuracy of the IANA functions service as the most important, and indicated overall an overall level of satisfaction with the service provided by the department. The survey also identified areas of improvement. Staff noted that the survey results may be publicly released, and requested IC member feedback.
- IC members to review survey results and provide feedback regarding publication.
- IANA Committee Charter Review. The IC continued a discussion on the review of the IC Charter. The IC discussed that the Board Governance Committee has an upcoming agenda item regarding the review of all Board committees, with a particular consideration of the continuing usefulness of each committee. The IC noted concerns with the management review function that the IC has been performing, and identified certain strategic portions of the Charter that the IC does not seem to be performing currently.
- IC members to identify questions and comments regarding the IC Charter to facilitate further review and prepare for discussions with the BGC.
- Any Other Business. The IC briefly discussed questions of how to communicate about the IANA functions, and anticipated changes of the activities performed by the IANA Functions Department as a result of the New gTLD Program. The IC also began a discussion regarding the jurisdictional issues related to the Internet on balance with the mission of ICANN. Finally, staff noted that the IC Chair is being provided with proposed delegation reports to shepherd through the Board consideration process, and the IC discussed the process for committee review as part that shepherding process. The IC then reviewed a specific redelegation request in advance of Board consideration and engaged in a general discussion of issues faced in consideration of delegation or redelegation processes..
- Staff to provide a short list of discussion topics on the impact of the New gTLD Program on the IANA Functions Department for the next IC meeting.
- IC Chair to circulate proposed redelegation request to IC for review.