Minutes – Board IANA Committee Meeting | 16 February 2009

Committee members present: Harald Alvestrand - Chair, Raimundo Beca, Steve Crocker Thomas Narten, Katim Touray and Suzanne Woolf

Staff members present: Doug Brent, David Conrad, Kurt Pritz, Barbara Roseman, Diane Schroeder and Amy Stathos


The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:

  • Discussed and approved minutes from 28 January 2009 meeting.
  • Discussed proposal for root zone automation review, including review of current processes, the automated processes, and possible changes needed to process in light of additional workload such as new gTLD, DNSSEC and IDNs. The plan is for the first two reviews to be implemented for report by Sydney and the third to be implemented for report by Seoul. Action: Staff to present additional information to committee re: engaging reviewers.
  • Discussed how the RSSAC and SSAC study will interact with the root zone management reviews. Action: Staff to try to advance timing to coordinate with RSSAC/SAC study.
  • Discussed Name Server Technical Checks and staff noted that the new checks proposed are: (i) No-recursive on authoritative name servers; (ii) Diversity of AS network announcements; (iii) Changing the maximum number of name servers to those that will fit in the 512-byte limit. The Committee also discussed the next steps, which include notification and discussion with NTIA, then posting for community comment and then implementation, currently anticipated for May. Action: Staff to send proposal to NTIA this week and send to committee at same time and staff to complete brief report regarding which ccTLDs are using multiple AS announcements and which are not.
  • Discussed concept of changing policy on updating glue records and how to communicate with technical community about policy. Action: Staff to provide update in Mexico City.
  • Discussed agenda for next meeting. Action: Staff to provide update on IPv4 address status and policies being discussed with RIRs.