IANA Committee (IC) Minutes | 14 March 2011

IC attendees:  Kuo-Wei Wu – Chair; Bertrand de La Chapelle, Thomas Narten, Ray Plzak, Katim Touray and Suzanne Woolf

Other Board attendee:  Rod Beckstrom – President & CEO and Steve Crocker (partial attendance)

Staff Members Present:  Elise Gerich – VP, IANA; Joe Abley; Kim Davies; Diane Schroeder; Ken Shiu; Amy Stathos and Leo Vegoda


The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:

  1. Reviewed and approved minutes from the previous IC meeting held on 17 February 2010.

  2. Report on RPKI – Staff provided the IC with an update on RPKI.  Staff informed the IC of the recent receipt of a letter from the NRO in support of a single trust anchor model operated by ICANN.  Staff is currently working with RIRs via the NRO, IAB, IETF and ISOC to determine the implementation steps.  The IC endorsed the approach of engaging with the community and proceeding with an operating model with community consensus.  The IC also discussed the extent of the IANA department operational activities outside the contracted IANA functions including RPKI, the technical management function of IN-ADDR.ARPA, operation of L-root and participation in IETF.

    • Action:   Staff will report back to the IC once the discussions outline a clearer implementation path.

  3. Report on Root Management Process Publication – Staff advised the IC that the root management process documentation has yet to be published.  The IC discussed the need to encourage public comment submissions on this issue.  Staff would be meeting with NTIA this week to seek further guidance.

    • Action:   Staff will circulate a copy of the current version of the documentation to the IC.

  4. DNAME Testing – Staff provided a brief update on the DNAME testing work being conducted and the expected delivery of the final report in mid April.

    • Action:   Staff will keep the IC updated on progress.

  5. Root Zone Scaling – The IC discussed the status of root zone scaling and monitoring under the new gTLD program as part of the GAC scorecard concerns. The IC noted that the Board was still considering the GAC scorecard issues identified with root scaling and as a consequence had not issued any directive to the IC or Staff.  The IC also discussed the appropriate process mechanism to progress further action on this issue.

    • Action:  The IC Chair will inform the Board Chair of this issue.

  6. Review of Open items – The IC discussed internal process tracking of completed IC agenda items that had subsequently been submitted to the Board.

  7. Additional items of business – The IC discussed issues around potential future development of the re-delegation processes and the IC discussed that the issue of policy development might be more appropriately referred to the ccNSO.