Board Activities and Meetings
IC attendees: Kuo-Wei Wu – Chair; Bertrand de La Chapelle, Bill Graham, Thomas Narten, and Suzanne Woolf
Additional Board Attendees: Steve Crocker and Erika Mann
Other Invited Attendees: Olga Madruga-Forti
Staff Members Present: Elise Gerich – Vice President, IANA; Joe Abley, Kim Davies, Samantha Eisner, Amy Stathos, Alina Syunkova and Leo Vegoda
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
- Minutes. The IC reviewed and approved the minutes of the previous IC meeting in June 2012.
- Changing the Role of IC in ccTLD Delegations and Redelegations: The IC discussed the development of a process to have the IC provide initial review and recommendation to the Board regarding requests for delegations and redelegations. The IC noted that documentation would be required to be sure that the process is very clear and capable of auditing. The IC also discussed providing more public, transparent reporting on the evaluation of delegation/redelegation requests.
- Staff to recirculate to IC criteria on assessing delegation/redelegation requests.
- Staff to work with IC Chair to determine the scope of the proposal to be presented to the Board on streamlining Board consideration of delegation/redelegation requests.
- Projects for New gTLD Readiness. Staff provided a report to the IC on work within the IANA Functions Department to prepare for the entry of new gTLDs into the root. This includes the addition of a staff member; finalizing requirements for hand off to the IANA Functions Department from the New gTLD team; creating an implementation plan to confirm that the New gTLD team met the proper criteria in accepting the new gTLD to move to the delegation phase; documenting the development, testing and roll out plan for enhanced root zone management; determining requirements and creating prototype delegation report customized for new gTLDs; confirmation of process for acceptance of delegation reports by the ICANN Board; and the creation of credentials in RZM for each new gTLD for submission of change requests.
- Overview of Plans to Implement the New IANA Functions Contract. The IC received a report on the project plan in place to implement and meet the obligations under the new IANA Functions Contract that will come into force on 1 October 2012.
- RPKI Update – The IC received a report on collaboration within the community towards the deployment of a global trust anchor for RPKI, including the development of requirements and architecture. Planning work has also been underway, including assuring that the implementation of the requirements will be auditable, as well as creating secure management facilities.