IANA Committee (IC) Minutes | 10 March 2012

IC attendees: Kuo-Wei Wu – Chair; Bertrand de La Chapelle, Bill Graham, Thomas Narten, and Suzanne Woolf

Additional Board Attendees: Gonzalo Navarro and Thomas Roessler

Staff Members Present: Rodrigo de la Parra – Vice President, Latin America; Elise Gerich – Vice President, IANA; Nigel Hickson – Vice President, Europe; Xiaodong Lee – Vice President, Asia Pacific; Michelle Cotton, Kim Davies, Samantha Eisner, Alina Syunkova, and Leo Vegoda


The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:

  1. Minutes. The IC reviewed and approved the minutes of the previous IC meeting.
  2. Reviewed IPv6 Visibility on New ICANN.org Site. Staff provided a presentation on the visibility of information on IPv6 on the redesigned icann.org website, including links available on every page.
    • Action:
      • Staff to make available more information describing ICANN’s role in IPv6 deployment.
  3. Summary Reporting on IANA Department Activities. Staff discussed a high-level overview report on all activities underway within the IANA Functions Department, suggested as a regular reporting tool for the IC. The IC agreed that the reporting is helpful for each meeting, and suggested that the metrics used should be verified as meaningful to the group for whom the work is being performed. The IC also discussed the availability of the information within the report.
    • Action:
      • Staff to modify the reporting as discussed with the IC, and to provide to the IC on a quarterly basis.
  4. ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency (MA). The IC received an update on ICANN’s participation in the ISO 3166 MA, regarding the maintenance of two-character country code standards. The IC discussed the regularity of reporting regarding ICANN’s participation.
    • Action:
      • IANA Department staff to forward to appropriate ICANN staff an IC suggestion to publish a history of ICANN relationship with ISO.
  5. INT Registry Policy and Process. The IC received a presentation regarding the history and management of the existing policy regarding the .INT Registry. Staff provided recent examples of new .INT names as well as some challenges faced in the management of the .INT Registry, which is done according to long-established policies.
    • Action:
      • Staff to provide the IC with more detail on where .INT policy is derived from.
      • Staff to provide the IC with a list of potential .INT names for which multiple requests were received.
      • Staff to produce a list of recent .INT delegations.
      • Staff to provide IC with information regarding limitations regarding the availability of information.
      • IC chair to bring the .INT discussion forward to the full Board as appropriate.
  6. Delegation and Redelegation Request Processes. The IC renewed its discussion on reviewing requests for delegations and redelegations prior to full Board review. This topic was raised prior to the IDN ccTLD Fast Track to allow for more efficient reviews of delegation requests at the Board level, with the IC filtering the requests in preparation for Board discussions. The IC discussed that there could be situations where deeper guidance by the full Board is necessary, though Board approval of all delegations/redelegations is still optimal given the processes followed today. The IC acknowledged that there is ongoing work in the GAC and the ccNSO regarding the refinement and clarification of the delegation and redelegation criteria that may be of further guidance to this effort, and IC discussion of this topic will continue.
    •  Action:
      • Staff to provide the IC with a proposed discussion checklist for delegation/redelegation requests with better explanation of the criteria used, to allow for continued IC discussion on this topic.